Nine: The Funeral

Italy
Countryside, Monteriggioni

Luciana walked home through the quiet village, accompanied by Ezio.

The young man's large hood was down, since it was very dark and the two were barely visible to each other.

"Ezio," the young woman said.

He turned his head to look at her.

"Have you ever been in love?" She asked.

The assassin chuckled softly.

"I am nineteen, Lucy. I barely know what love is. The only thing I do know, is that the people I love always end up getting hurt."

She bit her lip in nervousness. "Oh, right." She sighed, looking down at the stones of the street.

"Have you? Ever been in love?"

Luciana shrugged. "I am also nineteen, Ezio. The people I love always end up getting hurt too."

He cocked an eyebrow, realizing that her past was similar to his. "I see... well, I hope we find love one day, and that nothing bad will happen. But at the moment, my life is fighting the Templars. And I can't afford getting anyone I love-"

Suddenly, a feminine scream echoed throughout the village.

Luciana flinched at the sudden sound, before Ezio pulled his hood up quickly before dashing towards the origin of the yell.

Luciana followed, her hand pulling the sword out from its sheath on her back.

She noticed that Ezio was running towards her home.

No, she thought. Not them.

As the dim light from Luciana's home grew bigger and brighter, another scream was heard. Then, a shadow passed in the window of the house.

"Bastardo!" The young woman yelled as she dashed towards her home.

"Luciana!" Ezio shouted as a whisper. But she did not listen.

Ezio was afraid that the woman was not ready to actually fight yet, but of course Luciana was persistent.

The brunette bursted through the front door, to find Giovanna and Valentina both laying limply on the wooden floorboards. Blood was spewing from their throats.

As Ezio walked in behind her, Luciana's sword hit the ground, followed by her knees.

The young woman wept as she kneeled beside her best friends. The only people who had accepted her for who she was. The fine young ladies who took her into their home.

"Lucy..." Ezio put his hand on the woman's shoulder gently, but she shook it off vigorously.

"Don't touch me!" She snapped, wiping the tears which streamed from her once bright eyes.

Luciana stood, picking up her blade as she did so.

"I wish I had never gone to that festival," she muttered through clenched teeth, before turning to Ezio. "I wish I had never met you, monstro."