Chapter Thirty-Five - 'I'll Kick You In The Shin'

Start from the beginning

"I guessed we're tied together." I said lamely before noticing Kyle's unease at my attempted joke- he clearly doesn't want to be tied to me, "Are you guys here for the doc as well?" I asked, seeing that they're going in the same direction as I am, right towards the theatre.

"We are!" The girl confirmed cheerily, giggling between two of the tall, not so energetic guys. She quickly noticed the damp patch on my chest and frowned, "What happened?"

I laughed, tugging awkwardly at the hem of my dress. "Let's just say I'm a people magnet."

I could feel Reece's burning curiosity beside her, and it took every ounce of my concentration not to look at him- it was like being told to suddenly breathe quieter when you've been doing it differently since forever- except I was the one telling myself not to look at him. "Are you here alone?" He asked coolly.

"No, I'm on a date." I joked, immediately cringing as soon as I realised the cruelness of it. I attempt to rephrase it, but it's already too late because everyone standing before me has processed it. I eventually look up to find Reece is just staring at me, his dark eyes narrowed. I really hate that I can't read Reece in this moment, is he hurt? Is he amused? Does he care?

I cleared my throat, also noticing how incredulous Kyle looks. "A friend date!" I continued smoothly, "I'm with Kimmy and-"

"You're with Kimmy!" The girl exclaimed, surprised- her expression quickly contorting into a wicked smile. "I have a great idea!" She said, practically jumping up and down. I'm having a hard time working out her age and relation to Kyle. Cousins maybe? They had the same blonde hair, the same bright blue eyes and soft features. They looked too similar to be cousins but I don't remember Kyle ever having a sister, then again, what would I know?

"Your ideas are horrible, Brianna." Reece drawled, as if what I'd said a moment ago hadn't occurred at all. I don't know whether to be relieved or a little disheartened. It feels like I'm making up my own drama. I'm such an idiot.

She rolled her eyes, still grinning nonetheless and turned back to me excitedly, "How about we join up and see it all together?"

"Hang on, Kimmy? Is this why you made us bring you along to the mall? Because you knew she'd be here?" Kyle accused, glaring at the girl I now know to be called Brianna.

"You didn't figure that out earlier?" Reece asked his friend, practically oozing amusement. Kyle grimaced.

I stared, jaw-slacked as I realised something. Oh my god, Brianna must've been the blonde girl I saw making out with Kimmy at the Halloween party! Are they together?

Brianna blushed a deep red, quickly confirming my suspicions. "Okay, you caught me." She said to Kyle, raising her pink manicured hands in surrender. "But to be fair, Kimmy was in on this too."

"I think that's a great idea." I blurted, still flabbergasted as I processed everything, "The more the merrier!"

"Perfect!" She grinned excitedly, "Let's go!"

Kyle sighed, "Why did your plan have to involve us, Bri?"

Was that her preferred name? She shrugged innocently, "Because you guys were coming here anyway- besides, Kimmy wanted me to bring-"