26. Romeo and Juliet

Mayu swung gently on the swings and smiled to herself as the Servamp of Greed leaned against the poles of the swings and watched her.

'I should be inside with Kuro and everyone else discussing the meeting' she thought with a hint of guilt 'but being out here with him makes me kind of...happy.'

"Having fun?" The blonde haired vampire asked as his red eyes continued to stare at her.

Mayu simply nodded and continued to gently swing herself so she was at a responsible height. They hadn't talked at all since they got to this park which was across the street but the silence was comforting and she had no complaints about it whatsoever.

"I-I never got to ask if y-you were ok?"

"Ok?"

"Y-Yes. From the f-fight between you and K-Kuro."

"Aw" Lawless said whimsically as he stopped leaning against the pole and sighed deeply "well big brother always did snap at times so I should have expected it from provoking him so much. Long story short, I'm fine."

"D-Do you n-not like Kuro" the caramel colored hair girl asked curiously.

"I hate his guts."

'Oh...'

Mayu remained silent and awkwardly chewed on the inside of her cheek as Lawless plopped on the swing next to her and sighed deeply.

"Don't think ill of me for that" he continued "it's a long, tragic story that I don't want to burden you with."

"If it's a-about the creator and his d-daughter then I already know" she said "I-I understand their d-deaths were painful b-but you can't k-keep blaming Ku-"

"People" Lawless began slowly, interrupting the girl as there was a strange coldness to his voice "should keep quiet about family matters."

Mayu's eyes widened slightly and she expected his murderous aura to appear like last time but it never did. Instead he turned towards her and smiled again, however, instead of a usual cheerful smile this smile was warning her to change the topic soon or she'd regret it.

"S-S-S-Sorry!!" She squeaked as she stared at the ground, trembling slightly.

"Don't apologize my dear Juliet" he exclaimed hurriedly, shooting up from the swing "I didn't mean to scare you!!"

'This guy is really bipolar!'

"I-It's ok" she replied with a small smile.

Lawless returned the smile and stuffed his hands in his pockets as he stared at the girl on the swing with a serious gaze.

"Have you ever fallen in love, Mayu?"

Mayu hummed slightly in response and looked up at the blonde haired vampire only to see his blood red eyes staring back down at her in wait for a response.

"I-I-I don't t-think so..."

"Good" the vampire muttered "falling in love is dangerous my dear Juliet."

"H-Have you ever fallen in love b-before?"

"Have I?" He said as he tapped a finger against his chin "I can't remember."

This was, in fact, very untrue. The Servamp of Greed had fallen in love before and the end results of that love wasn't one he was keen to have repeated. Nonetheless, as he stared at the beautiful girl before him he couldn't help but to feel his heart beat slightly faster each time she smiled, laughed, or even looked at him.