Chapter 8: Fragments of a Memory

Depuis le début

"I have a name."

"And I don't give a damn."

I took in deep breathes, trying to avoid lashing out at Laurance. I managed to maintain my composure, permitting myself to put on a smile. I turned on my heel, facing Laurance himself. Who was smirking, as per usual, and glancing me over.

"What are you trying to find?" I narrowed my eyes, praying to Irene he doesn't kiss me again, or even try to... It wasn't very pleasant...I think? Gah, the mixed feelings return!

"A reason to like you. Rather difficult, if I do say so myself," Laurance let out a small laugh.

Have I mentioned how much I hate him? I don't think words can express the amount of hatred I feel towards this man.

"Very humorous," I sighed, dropping my arms. "I know how much the thought of me- as lack for a better term- disturbs you... However, I promise you, that I will be out of your hair soon enough. This is your home I'm invading, and I greatly apologize. If you truly do not want me to stay, I'll go...you all have done so much for me already... Even though, some of you may not be too keen on the idea..."

Laurance's eyes widened a tad, as his gaze shifted to the ground. He had mumbled something, too low for me to hear it. I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I kept quiet. The silence was irritable, to say the least.

After a moment, Laurance turned his head for a brief second- glancing over the door. His smirk returned, as he turned back to face me. The look he had on...was a small bit...terrifying.

"What?" I tugged on the collar of my top.

"Hm? Oh, it's nothing..."

A sharp pain stung through my head. The blasted headaches, have returned once again. I thought I had gotten over them?

This one, was even worse than all the others. For some odd reason, my breathing had begun to stagger. I held my head, as I fell backwards onto the ground. Laurance had began to panic, shouting words I couldn't hear, over the ringing in my ears.

Before I knew it...I had blacked out...

~~~

"Follow me. It's just up ahead!"

I ran after the blurred figure, who's voice was somewhat distorted. They led me up a hill, stopping as they reached the peak. I stopped as well, looking out at the vivid horizon. My heart, racing with delight. It was spectacular, to say the least.

"You weren't kidding. This sure is an amazing view," I let out a small chuckle, having no control over my words or actions.

"You aren't even living the true view, with that silly helmet atop your head. Take it off. See it, in all of it's glory," the figure tapped my head, which was blocked my a metal helm.

"Remove it? I...uh..," I turned away, coughing into my hand, though it was blocked by my helm. For some reason, I was not okay with the idea.

"If you don't want to, that's fine. I just would've liked to...see your face, is all..."

"So, that's what this is about? Eh?" I teased, playfully hitting the figure's shoulder.

"Well, no... Maybe? Just a little?" The figure let out a small, distorted laugh, looking back out at the stunning view. "Has she seen your face?"

"M'lady? Er...once. Maybe twice. I  prefer to keep it hidden, is all..."

"Why?" The figure turned back to face me...I believe.