Chapter Twenty-Two: Hanamura [Hanzo]

Darkness blanketed the castle grounds, and visibility was poor as the rain poured over Hanamura in endless torrents. Beneath the steep roof of his balcony, the Shimada clan-master peered out into the rainstorm. He stood unmoving, basking in the melancholic atmosphere, giving recognition to the ache in his heart. The flashing lightning and crashing thunder seemed to only heighten his sorrow.

So, for a moment, Hanzo yielded to his emotions and allowed his senses to dull. He closed his eyes, hands resting idle on the bannister, and breathed deeply. He let the cool water hit him, permeate through his clothes, drench his skin, cleanse his being--he sought solace in the rain. Only to be denied when thoughts of you suddenly flooded his consciousness.

He cursed, drove his left fist into the bannister. Wood shattered, splinters flew, flesh broke, blood exuded. Yet, he hardly noticed any physical pain. Striving to control his emotions, he watched as the raindrops mingled with his blood. His act of selflessness, he began to wonder if he could survive it. To give up on pursuing you, out of the fear that harm would befall you if he drew near.

How many times had it occurred? How many times did he bear witness to your fainting spells, powerless to prevent or help? How many times did he play a part in their cause? How many times had he endangered your life?

The frustration was suffocating. His heart burned for you. His soul longed only for you. And yet... he wasn't deserving. Hanzo laughed. It sounded pitiful even in his own ears. He pondered if he was not as iron-willed and apathetic as he thought he was all these years. Was he so weak? How could a woman could render him so wretched, so powerless over his emotions?

Hanzo pondered if his despair would come to pass.

But as the days elapsed since his return to Hanamura, the anguish only worsened. To add to his mental suffering, Hanzo fell ill. His skin burned with fever and the strength began to leave his body. It took considerable effort for him to remain upright as he sat on the edge of his bed. The silken fabric of his robe felt like fire on his skin, and the air chilled him through and through.

He felt his strength ebb from him, and his body soon tumbled onto the wooden floor. He barely felt the impact on his weakened form. Even when he was indisposed, he still couldn't remove you from his mind. A rueful smile appeared unbidden on his pallid face as he saw your face in his mind's eye. Finally, Hanzo succumbed to oblivion.

---

"This way, milady." The castle-keeper beckoned you to follow him as he carried your suitcase. "On behalf of the Shimada clan, I wish to express our gratitude."

"Oh," You looked surprised as you progressed deeper into the castle grounds. "What for?"

"For saving our Lord's life. Our clan would be in dire straits without him. Had he perished that day..." He trailed off, suddenly stopping in his tracks. "But Lord Hanzo's been unwell as of late."

"Unwell?" You repeated before seeking clarification. "How do you mean, sir?"

"Well... he's been delirious, coming in and out of consciousness, since yesterday."

"What?!" You shouted more loudly than you meant to. Seeing him flinch, you murmured a quick apology. "Would you mind taking me straight to Hanzo's room?"

"Right this way." He walked briskly at your request. "Our local healer had said that Lord Hanzo became ill because he was under a great deal of stress."