Chapter Sixteen: Chemistry

As you stilled, the silence in the room grew thick. You couldn't fathom the hollow ache in your chest. The pain was a new kind, something you had never experienced before. It was the kind you would never be able to forget, either.

Worst of all, it was self inflicted.

"[Y/N]," Genji began, bringing the pad of his thumb to your face. You felt its wiping motion against your skin before he pulled you in against his cybernetic form. Dazed, you also couldn't figure out the solace you felt in Genji's arms. "How can you expect me to believe you when you are shedding tears?"

He'd seen through your lie.

Silently, you cursed yourself for not being able to hide your emotions.

Genji tilted your chin so that your gaze met his. Without warning, his mouth sought yours in a long, enveloping kiss. The longer it went on, the less clear your mind was.

Despite the robotic feel to his body, he was radiating such warmth. And Genji made you feel safe and unhindered in his arms, as if you could take on the world.

Genji felt like... home.

You pulled away from him, touching your swollen lips subconsciously as your eyes locked with his. "I..."

The look in Genji's eyes told you that he wasn't about to leave you here. He closed the distance again, pulling you close to him. "I won't let you do this by yourself."

"Stop," You whispered assertively, taking a step back. "Hanzo told me that your life would be at risk if you became involved."

"Did he also tell you he intends on restoring our clan's prosperity?"

You pressed your lips into a firm line, hesitating. Genji knew after all it seemed.

"He intends to use Talon, does he not?" Genji continued, his voice solemn. "What is prosperity if it is gained in an ill manner? I cannot allow him to take the easy route."

"But-" You tried to interrupt, but Genji went on.

"We had gone through painstaking measures to dismantle my father's criminal empire. Allowing Hanzo to do this, even if his intentions are good, would mean reverting the clan back to those days."

He didn't sound like he would change his mind, either.

"You will leave with me tonight. We can figure out another way to handle Talon." Genji took your wrist again and beckoned you to step further out on the balcony.

You sighed. "You heard the Talon mercenary earlier. They're under the impression that Hanzo and I are on their side. If I leave with you, won't he lose his credibility? What if that puts him in danger?"

"My brother is more than capable of handling himself." He answered. "And you should never have been deliberated into this in the first place."

"Genji," You needed to choose your words carefully, considering how protective of you he was being. "Neutralizing Talon from within is the best way to prevent bloodshed. And if we can make Hanzo promise that the Shimada clan will take no part in Talon's criminal activity, why couldn't we support his intention?"

He answered with a thoughtful pause. His eyes bore into yours, penetrating right to your very soul. Finally, he confronted you, "You... have feelings for Hanzo, don't you?"

"It- It's not that," You stammered and looked down at your feet, your cheeks growing hotter than they already were.

"My brother's feelings have already reached you, it seems," He sounded glum as his gaze lingered on your heated face. "You've resolved to finish this without my involvement. Whatever your reasoning is, I will not interfere. All I ask is that you don't make me regret this."

"I'll be careful, I promise." You said softly, choosing not to answer his remark about Hanzo.

"And know this," Genji's words forced your gaze back up to his captivating face. "I won't lose to Hanzo." Without notice, he kissed you again.

This time, it was fierce and compelling. The sensation you derived from it made your knees weak and your head light. This time, the chemistry was breathtaking.

To your chagrin, the sound of approaching footfalls forced you to end your long kiss.

"I intend to visit often to ensure your wellbeing," He said in a hushed voice, then produced a small pouch and placed it in your hand. "There's an earpiece in here just in case you need to reach me. Be wary of Hanzo's true intention. If anything is amiss, please reach out to me."

You nodded, watching him as he donned his mask to conceal his face. In the back of your mind, it excited you to have finally seen his face. Yet, at the same time, your heart sank at the prospect of not being able to see it again for a while. The greed you felt was more than enough indication for how immensely attracted you were to him.

"I love you," You found yourself saying as you watched him leap from the wooden railing. You didn't really mean for him to hear it.

But Genji caught the words as he descended into the dark. After hearing them, he sensed the tightness in his chest easing as some of his worries dispersed. You felt the same way about him, and for now, it was all that mattered.

"She is probably resting now. Can't this wait until morning?" You heard Hanzo's voice outside the closed bedroom doors.

"No, it can't." Someone other than Hanzo responded, his voice gruff. "Don't worry, I won't touch your girlfriend. Unless she wants me to."

You held your breath, straining to listen. The replying voice sounded familiar, and not in a good way.

"You will want to if you are under the effects of her charm. I've seen it firsthand." Hanzo argued.

"Then, I'll have her try it on you." The sinister voice chuckled. "She won't mind if you touch her, right? And where better to test this out than in your own bedroom?"

--

A/N: Hey, guys! I'm sorry for the wait. This has been a really busy month for me. I hope you're all doing okay out there! Thank you for reading, voting, commenting! I'll try to update by the end of next week. I appreciate your patience!

Happy holidays!