Chapter Two: Diving In

Not even bothering to make sure your laces are tied, you hastened out of your makeshift bedroom. Spatters of blood trailed the entrance to the infirmary and into one of the exam rooms. You managed to hear some labored breathing from within, and Genji speaking with urgency in his voice, "Stay with me, Hanzo!"

Entering the exam room, you saw the bloody mess sitting on the exam table, leaning against Genji's cybernetic form. Blood covered the man's bronzed skin, starting from his left exposed shoulder and dripping down his hand. His clothing intentionally exposed his left upper body, where you can see a trauma wound. In a split second you were at his side, "Please keep holding him up for me." You sanitized your hands and snapped on a pair of gloves; two practices you'd been accustomed to doing.

Beneath his mask, Genji observed you. You were wordlessly admired by him, the way you held yourself and calmly took over.

Standing now on the man's left side, you peered at the entrance wound and began your ministrations. Bedside manners and bedside conversations were of second nature to you, "What's your name?" You asked of the man you were tending to.

"...Hanzo," he answered with considerable effort as he regarded you with a calculating gaze.

"My name's [Y/N]. Quite a first meeting, don't you think?" You offered a smile and looked briefly into Hanzo's eyes before returning your gaze to his injury. "Genji, would you mind finding Dr. Ziegler for me? I believe she's in the medical wing somewhere."

"Of course," With a small nod, Genji vacated the small room.

The man in front of you was partially guarded, studying you as you studied his wound. "...will I be able to wield my bow again?" He'd lost a lot of blood, and you noticed he was fighting to stay conscious.

"I think you'll be fine." You answered honestly, taking medicated gauze and applying it to both entrance and exit wounds on his shoulder. "With a bit of therapy, you'll regain full functionality."

"Therapy... I feared as much." He sighed.

"Bear with me, this will hurt but we need to stem the bleeding." You warned, then applied firm pressure with each hand to his injury. After a minute's passing, you gently raised your patient's right arm, "Let's keep it there." Working quickly, you wrapped layers upon layers of bandages around his upper torso.

Hanzo never flinched or complained. He looked straight ahead, his sharp features growing... stoic, maybe even distant. Without warning, however, his upper body began to lean frontward... onto you.

"H-Hanzo?" Your eyes shifted onto his face. With his eyes closed, he was no longer conscious. "Hanzo!" You tried to steady him, but the man's muscled form was too massive for you to support. Slowly and purposefully, you descended to the floor, guiding Hanzo and cushioning him with your own body. "Genji!? Is there anyone out there!?" You yelled out, now almost on your back with the unconscious Japanese warrior supine on top of you. You brought two fingers to the side of his neck, and breathed a sigh of relief when you felt his pulse beating strongly.

The sound of the infirmary doors opening then closing brought you comfort. A series of footsteps followed.

"Oh dear!" Mercy approached you, with Genji following suit. "Are you alright, [Y/N]?" With Genji and Mercy helping, you were able to lift Hanzo's unconscious form onto the exam bed.

"I'm fine," You affirmed, shooting an appreciative glance to both your senior colleagues before voicing your concern, "I think he's lost quite a lot of blood."

Dr. Angela Ziegler was already working on what she did best: healing. She busied herself, moving around the small room to procure supplies and tending to her patient. "I'll take it from here, [Y/N]. You did a great job. Genji, would you mind filling [Y/N] on what had happened to Hanzo?"

The ninja warrior nodded upon her request and turned to you.

"Please call me if you need some assistance," You bowed to Mercy and walked out of the room with Genji right behind you. You knew taking history from a patient's family member was just as important as treating the patient, yet you were still apprehensive about leaving to let Mercy work by herself.

"Don't worry," Genji spoke softly, noticing the worry etched upon your features. "She is nothing short of amazing. My brother's in good hands."

You couldn't help but smile at the fact that your patient's family was comforting you now. "Hey, that's my line." A curious feeling swelled inside you as you stood before Genji at an arm's length. This... man intrigued you. Despite the grisly story Mercy told you, how he came to be a cyborg, you wanted to de-mask him and see what was underneath. It was spontaneous: your desire to reach up and touch Genji's masked countenance. Your trance like state was interrupted when Genji called your name, twice or three times.

"[Y/N], are you ...alright?"

Your cheeks suddenly warmed and you nodded a little frantically. "Yes, I'm okay. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to zone out." What was this effect he had on you? Attraction? To someone who may not be completely human? You lowered your gaze, and accidentally eyed where Genji's private parts would be. Again, your cheeks warmed, but you caught yourself and forced your gaze to travel to the floor. What is wrong with me?  You hoped Genji didn't notice the red that crept up to your cheeks.

But he did. He noticed every little thing about you. The way your pulse quickened when you were conversing with him. The way the temperature of your skin rose when you were in close proximity. The way you would avert your eyes when you caught yourself staring too long.

"What... happened?" You reoriented yourself and peeled the blood-covered gloves off your hands, discarding them. You pretended to search for a notepad and a pencil, a reason to distance yourself from the way Genji's proximity made you feel.