Chapter Eight: Try Me

a/n: Dear readers,

You blew me away. Thank you so much for the votes and comments (that I've yet to reply to). You guys got my creative juices secreting and flowing (sorry, that sounded wrong). As promised, here's the next installment. If this keeps up, this story will come to a finish sooner than later! Anyhow... enjoy!

---

The base was blanketed in darkness, only lit by the intermittent crackles of electricity from the sundered power lines. The infirmary, your workspace, was in shambles. Shards of glass, pieces of equipment, and stacks of paper were scattered everywhere.

In the dimly-lit moments, you noticed spatters of blood on the ground. The environment alone was jarring, but the sight of spilt blood triggered an adrenaline rush within you.

You chose to follow the trail, bracing yourself for whatever might be at the end of it. The twisting hallway was dark with scattered emergency lighting that failed to illuminate adequately. Placing a hand on the wall, you walked slowly, cautiously in the darkness.

Coming upon a turn, something unnerving caught your attention. The crimson spatters grew into rivulets as you followed it. With your eyes already adjusted to the dark, you searched up ahead and caught sight of the motionless figure slumped on the ground with its back against the wall.

Strangely it looked familiar. Picking up your pace, you noticed the mask and the robotic limbs, and your heart skipped a beat. An ice cold sensation washed over you when you realized it was Genji's body.

"Oh, god!" The sting of tears came to your eyes as you ran to his side. "Genji!" His body was unmoving as the blood continued to pool under him. The green glow of the pistons on his body were absent. How is there so much blood?

As you were about to unmask him, to check his breathing, his arms abruptly moved, his hands clasping your shoulders.

"[Y/N]..." His voice sounded so weak. "How could you do this?" He sounded betrayed, heartbroken even.

"N-no, Genji, I didn't... I- -" You noticed how soaked your hands and arms felt for the first time. Horror speared through you when you realized that you were drenched in blood.

"Why did you betray us?!" Genji's grasp on your shoulders tightened as he shook you. His voice grew quieter as he expelled his last breath, "Why did you betray me?"

"Genji..." 

You breathed out his name, caught in the nightmare for what seemed like eternity.

In the conscious world, the man you called out for was trying to wake you. He placed a gentle hand on your upper arm, his other hand brushing strands of your hair out of your face. "I am here, [Y/N]. You're alright." The distress etched on your facial features would never escape his memory.

When you came to, you saw Genji in his armored glory. Your eyes frantically drank him in, how brightly his cybernetic body shone in the light, how very near and how very alive he was. You couldn't fight the urge and threw your arms around his neck, pressing yourself tightly against him. "Thank God you're okay!" It was either squeeze the living daylights out of him or sob uncontrollably because just a second ago, you believed you'd killed him.

Genji's eyes widened beneath his mask. Hesitantly, he wrapped his arms around you, holding you. "You are trembling." He remarked, his voice gentle.