Chapter Nine: Awkward Moments

The past several years in medical residency have left you negligent of your hair, its length grown out to the middle of your back. You'd need to do something about it eventually. For the time being, you deftly secured it into a high ponytail, then squeezed into the bodysuit Athena had asked you to wear.

You inspected yourself in the mirror, slightly mortified at how tight-fitting the article of clothing was. Lightweight and elastic, it clung to your curves and planes like a second skin. After tying your sneakers' laces, you stepped out of the dressing room, where Genji greeted you with silence.

Genji's eyes learned each facet of your body as you approached him, though you could see none of this on account of his mask. His silence made you uneasy, self-conscious. You wanted to cross your arms, to hide your chest, but fought the urge. With a blush on your face, you murmured, "I feel ridiculous in this. Will this protect me from bullets?"

"The highly tensile material will withstand some bullets. However, it is the ShieldPak that will mainly protect you." Athena explained.

"That sounds pretty cool," You marveled and let out a nervous laughter shortly afterward, "I'm not sure I'd want to test that out, though." Then, your eyes traveled to Genji's masked face. "Well, mentor, what basic training will we do first?"

Genji regained his composure, his cheeks warm beneath his mask. At that moment, he was grateful that plates of metal covered his face and lower torso.

He cleared his throat, then stood about a pace apart from you. "First, some basic defense. Stretch out your arm towards me, just like an assailant would do if they tried to lay a hand on you."

"Like this?" You did as he asked.

"Yes, and as he reaches for you, you will turn your shoulder while stepping in, and you will use his own momentum against him." He stepped in towards you, grasping your upper arm, then demonstrated the motion. You were lifted off your feet onto his back, and had he followed through, you would have found yourself flipped over with your back on the ground. Genji made sure you had your footing before he released your arm and faced you. "Understood?"

You nodded hesitantly. "Yeah."

"Then, it is your turn to demonstrate." He outstretched an arm towards you this time.

Grabbing Genji's arm as he showed you earlier, you repeated the maneuver and followed through with the motion. To your surprise, Genji's body went flying over you and landed on the ground in front of you with a resounding thud. "Oh my goodness!" You gasped, frantic. "Sorry, Genji!"

Genji let out a strained laugh. "That was excellent, [Y/N]." He slowly stood up with your help. "At this rate, I won't need to worry about you when I am not around."

You shook your head lightly, an apologetic smile on your face. "Are you okay?"

"Don't worry. I have been through worse," He laughed. "Next, you'll learn what to do when an assailant has a hold of you from behind."

Your training session went on for nearly an hour. Genji made sure you knew several different defensive maneuvers before the session concluded. With all the inevitable contact between your body and his, you couldn't help but find yourself being more attracted to Genji.

"Well done, [Y/N]," Genji praised you, then went on to say, "I think we can move on to testing your abilities now."

You mentally prepared yourself, wiping a few beads of sweat off your head. "Alright."

Genji gave you a small nod. "Give me some injuries, Athena."

"Inflicting minor damage." The AI responded.

The next thing you knew, Genji let out a pained grunt and clutched his side.

Based on his body's kinetics, you were able to see that he was sustaining an injury or two. "Let me take a look." You placed your hand on Genji's chest. Then, you realized that you had no way of checking his pulse without a stethoscope. Not only that but you never studied robots during your medical training. "I should've taken a rotation in cyborg anatomy."

"I'll be fine," Genji assured you. "Just take your time and focus."

So you did. Concentrating, you searched Genji's body, then placed a hand on his flank where he seemed to be injured. You closed your eyes, exhaling as you pictured Genji in perfect health.

"Recovering health. Eighty-five percent." The AI monitored Genji's condition. "Ninety percent."

"[Y/N], you are becoming proficient at this," Genji remarked.

"One hundred percent. Biochemical analysis shows increased cellular repair and elevated levels of oxygen and endorphins." Athena announced.

"Are you okay, Genji?" You withdrew your hands, the excitement of your working power making your heart race.

"More than okay, actually." Genji answered after patting his side to make sure the pain was gone. "I understand what my brother was talking about, now."

You blinked several times. "...you're not behaving the way he was, though." Which, for some reason, felt kind of disappointing to you.

"No signs of oxytocin or testosterone elevation from baseline." Athena responded to you.

You looked at Genji with a straight face. "May I ask you something very personal, Genji? As your possible healthcare provider?

"Of course." He answered.

"You are made up of both machine and human parts. Do you still- ?"

He interrupted you, smirking beneath his mask as he watched your cheeks turn red. "Yes. My male parts are intact and functional."

You fought the urge to look between his legs. Alrighty then. "Okay. Sorry for the weird question." You cleared your throat. "Since your oxytocin and testosterone levels aren't increased, that means I'm... not 'charming' you." You explained aloud, more for yourself than for Genji. "So... does that mean I can turn it on or off?"

Athena replied, "That seems to be the case. We need you to attempt the other part to your ability in order to confirm."

You nodded.

"On multiple subjects. For data accuracy." The AI added on.

Genji let out a pensive hum, then said, "I don't think my brother would willingly partake in this."

"Don't worry, it ain't gonna be him." A man sporting a cowboy hat appeared at the hangar entrance. His facial hair made him appear disheveled but one could argue that he was attractive because of it.

"Howdy, Miss." He approached you, took your hand, and planted a quick kiss on the back of it before resuming his introduction with a charming Southern drawl. "The name's Jesse McCree. And it would be my pleasure to have you touch me."