Chapter Six: Breach

"I don't know what came over me," Hanzo reflected, speaking to none other than his younger brother. In his living quarters, he sat tensely on the edge of a wooden chair, leaning forward with his elbows propped on his knees and hands bridged together, concealing his pursed lips. "The sensation she roused in me was potent."

Genji, leaning against the wall, kept his arms crossed as he listened and uttered no word.

"When we trained in our younger days, can you recall that feeling of euphoria after running distances?"

"You mean a runner's high?"

Hanzo gave a barely perceptible nod and continued, "That was what I experienced after she touched me, only far stronger."

Beneath his mask, Genji raised a brow.

Hanzo pensively murmured, inspecting the palm of his hand. "Perhaps... it began when I touched her."

"What do you mean, brother?" Genji was controlling his voice, unable to comprehend the feeling of displeasure that manifested within him after learning that Hanzo had placed a hand on you.

"I was asleep when she was trying to discontinue my IV. Out of reflex, I caught her hand to stop her."

Lightening up upon the explanation, Genji offered an idea, "Perhaps it was a defense mechanism."

Hanzo considered it. "I startled her. It was then I first noticed... things I had long dismissed as trivial." The last part he muttered quickly, as if unwilling to share the details with his younger brother.

Genji heard it nonetheless and chose to pursue the matter as if he didn't already know. "What sort of things?"

"Things I could not afford to indulge in." Hanzo chose his words carefully, sensing protectiveness in Genji's voice. "That woman's not to be trifled with, brother."

"You needn't tell me that." Genji replied. "I am not the child I was."

"It is no challenge to see how drawn you are to that woman." Hanzo climbed to his feet, his eyes searching his brother's mask and cybernetic figure for a reaction, some gesture that would betray Genji's true feelings. Even if he was uncertain what to expect.

Hesitant, Genji paused to think before finally declaring his denial, "You misjudge me, brother. I am incapable of that now."

The Genji who stood before him was different, Hanzo ruminated quietly. No longer was he the uncommitted, carefree playboy he had been prior to their fallout years ago. Hanzo couldn't say which Genji he preferred: the one he used to know - the one he'd condemned, or this concerned, considerate, generous being.

"Are you not capable of human emotion?" Hanzo countered. "You say the heart of a man still beats inside you."

Unable to retort, Genji remained silent.

"I'd thought as much. Perhaps the woman has you already snared." Hanzo crossed his arms, observing the ninja carefully. "You must be cautious of her lest she manipulates you."

"I do not believe she is the kind to manipulate. She healed you and spared you hours of grueling therapy. Perhaps you should express some gratitude." Genji jumped to your defense.

"Inadvertently she did! She toyed with my emotions!" Hanzo bellowed, his face reddening with anger, or maybe, embarrassment. "She made me behave irrationally and utter foolishness!"