Chapter Four: Late Night

When you signed up for this job, you weren't expecting to become a disciple (of sorts) to multiple Overwatch agents. What you did expect was being trained enough to understand the basics of combat and self-defense. There had not been any discussion about taking on a primary healing role on missions. Despite the promise of being only assigned to easier missions, you still couldn't help but be overwhelmed.

Genji's presence hadn't eased the tension you were feeling when Mercy broke the news. Luckily, your mentor-to-be left earlier to assist Mercy and the others prepare for their scavenging mission.

The digital clock perched high on the wall read 1:30 AM. It was only day one and you were already covered in blood. This was, no doubt, going to be one of the busiest careers you'd ever build.

Mercy had tasked you with the responsibility of caring for Hanzo while he was recovering. When you'd asked her why her Valkyrie suit couldn't be used, she'd asserted that the suit's healing technology was too advanced to use on Hanzo's stable condition. "The suit's advanced biotic technology is for life-threatening emergencies only. We must manage our resources effectively!" To your disappointment, she was right. She assured you that Hanzo would heal quickly with the treatment he'd receive here.

The Overwatch Recall protocol was activated not too long ago. The rebuilding of the organization was still in its early stages. Overwatch as a whole was vulnerable to opposition from governments, terrorist organizations, including Talon, and your everyday bad guys.

This job had come with a big warning label. Still, it didn't deter you because expanding your knowledge and helping people in areas where evil wreaked havoc were part of your ultimate dream. Not only that, but Overwatch promised you many traveling opportunities to these remote areas of the world, and you were determined to take advantage. Even if you'd have to learn how to fight or wield weaponry while simultaneously tending to injuries.

Idly, you sat at your desk, watching a monotonous cardiac monitor while fighting to stay awake. Hanzo's heart rhythm was normal and steady. He was a healthy, thirty something year old male with a strong physique and lack of health problems; a non-fatal gunshot wound shouldn't deter his recovery or throw his heart into odd rhythms. But the heart monitor was a precaution, especially after his massive blood loss. Overwatch couldn't afford to lose any of its agents.

You pondered quietly to yourself, thinking about how amazing the biotic technology was. The lab courier who'd brought the units of blood earlier had told you about how all blood products, medications, et cetera were enhanced with the technology Mercy pioneered. This meant Hanzo would recover at a much faster rate than you originally anticipated. For you, it would be one of the most amazing things to ever behold.

You anticipated hearing a bothersome beeping to signal the blood transfusion's completion. Sure enough, as you rose from your chair and made your way to Hanzo's room, the IV pump began to alarm. Hastily you made your way to the machine and silenced it, glancing at Hanzo occasionally to see if his slumber was disturbed by the noise.

You breathed in relief when you saw he was still in repose, his face relaxed and body still. Slowly you reached to Hanzo's right arm where the IV was, intending to disconnect the tubing now that his treatment was finished.

Your composure flew out the window when your wrist was caught in a strong grip. A gasp of surprise escaped your lips and your eyes met Hanzo's fierce ones.

It took him a moment to release his tension before he recognized you. "Forgive me, I didn't mean to startle you." Letting go of your wrist, he apologized and sat slowly up.