Chapter Twenty: Resentment

A/N: Hey, guys! From the bottom of my heart, thank you for the tremendous support you've showered me! I can't believe this story's reached 61k reads, 2.3k votes, and 2.1k comments. Thank you so much for reading, voting, and commenting. I'm close to wrapping this story up (hopefully 5-6 more chapters). Bear with me!

If you're bored waiting for me to update, please check out my other Overwatch stories (Indelible, Bloodrush, and Saucy Tales - last two are NSFW) and tell me what you think about them. This would mean a lot to me! Thank you in advance!

--

Genji's strides were urgent. He'd heard you'd been flown in from Hanamura because of your health crisis. And the discovery evoked self-loathing so disabling, it disrupted his automaticity, and--in turn--the reconnaissance mission individually assigned to him. After receiving the news from Athena, he aborted his task and hastened to return. He knew he would answer to Commander Morrison later, but he didn't fear whatever punitive measures the old soldier would impart on him.

For Genji, the fear of losing someone was an unfamiliar thing. And having to face it now was almost crippling.

Gods, what went through his mind when he left you on that balcony? Neither sanity nor reason, that was certain. He shouldn't have believed that you'd be able to complete the hellish mission without putting yourself in harm's way.

Entering the only occupied room in the medical wing, he regarded the doctor standing at the side of your bed and removed his mask. He was past concealing his emotions for you.

"Genji," Mercy addressed him. "I thought you were on a mission?"

"I returned when I learned of [Y/N]'s critical state." He said without the slightest hint of penitence, then made his way to your bedside. "How is she doing?"

"She's medically stable," Mercy's words did little to lessen his worry. "[Y/N]'s recovering well considering all things."

"What do you mean, Dr. Ziegler?" Genji's eyes swept across your sleeping figure as he took your hand in his. "What happened to her?"

"[Y/N] overexerted herself to subjugate Reaper. When Hanzo reached out to us, she'd lost consciousness. I managed to stabilize her when she arrived." Mercy explained, her blue eyes assessing your unconscious form. "But had she arrived any later... she could have perished."

"How did she end up this way?" He questioned further.

"Her powers. [Y/N] has learned to compartmentalize them. Her most dangerous ability was what she inflicted upon Reaper. She induced what is called a serotonin storm ...or serotonin syndrome. Long story short, it overloaded his neurotransmitter systems and incapacitated him." Mercy looked at you with fascination, then sheepishly smiled to herself when she realized she was droning on. "Needless to say, she's come a long way as an Overwatch agent."

"What of Hanzo?" Genji asked softly, his grip on your hand unrelenting. "Is my brother alright?"

"Yes, he bears no injuries." The Swiss woman was quite surprised by how openly Genji was showing his affection for you. She watched as he sat on the edge of the bed, as he brushed strands of your hair out of your face. He was so focused on you, he seemed devoid of his usual warmth and cordiality.

Genji uttered nothing as he studied your resting features. The guilt in his dark eyes was hard to miss. He was berating himself for leaving you in Hanamura with Hanzo.

How foolish he had been... to entrust your safety to Hanzo.

"Where is my brother?" Genji asked after a brooding silence.

"In his quarters I believe." Mercy answered absentmindedly and made her way to the other side of your bed to assess you. While she donned her stethoscope to continue your medical care, Genji wordlessly left the room.

Minutes later, he entered Hanzo's living space without invitation.

Seated by the window, Hanzo appeared deep in thought. He hardly moved when Genji barged in. "Are you here to exact punishment on me?"

The younger Shimada was mute as anger, anxiety, and uncertainty all flashed in his dark eyes. When it involved you, all of the teachings he'd come to learn under his omnic master's tutelage became easily forgotten.

In this moment, he resented Hanzo. Genji resented his older brother so much more now than he had following their fallout.

For compromising your life, Hanzo had already considered physical suffering as repentance. He stood, facing his younger brother, and found himself taken aback upon seeing Genji's unmasked face. He saw the rage in his younger brother, and the astonished emotion morphed into a knowing smirk. This was the perfect opportunity. "Go ahead then."

Genji stilled, hands fisted at his sides. When Hanzo saw the hesitation in his younger brother, he scowled.

"I do not regret what occurred in Hanamura." Hanzo lied, sounding aloof. "[Y/N] fulfilled her duty. Thanks to her, there is one less problem in the world. Casualties happen."

Within the second, the cyborg darted forward and attacked. Hanzo made no effort to block the assault. He accepted the infliction upon his physique and fell to his knees when he could support himself no longer.

"I was wrong to think you'd changed after all these years," Genji relented with his punches at last. His eyes narrowed on his brother's battered form as he towered over him with his sword in hand. "No one is expendable. Not any Overwatch agent. Not [Y/N]. If you don't understand this by now, how are you different from our enemies?"

Hanzo spat onto the ground and gave a strained chuckle, oddly feeling lighter after being thoroughly beaten up.

Slighted by Hanzo's behavior, Genji clenched his jaw and brought the blunt edge of his blade to Hanzo's neck. "I should just end your life right now if it means preventing the deaths of our agents."

"Killing me means being able to pursue [Y/N] without contest," Hanzo peered up at his younger brother, wondering if Genji was capable of carrying out such a selfish act.

Genji fell silent after Hanzo's last statement. As realization struck him, his sword clattered onto the ground. All of the rage he harbored was gone, and he was overcome with shame. "Forgive me, brother," he muttered. He helped Hanzo to his feet and supported his brother's injured body with his own.

"What the hell happened?!"

You appeared in the doorway, Mercy and Commanded Morrison accompanying you.

Taking in the spatters of blood around the room and the sword on the ground, you approached Hanzo and Genji quickly. The sight of them brought you back to your first night here.

"I-... I did this. I allowed my emotions to get the better of me." Genji admitted, lowering his gaze.

Furious, the old soldier approached the brothers and addressed Genji with a burning glare. "Widowmaker is still at large. You're supposed to be tracking her down not picking fights with your brother, dammit!"

Then, he shot you an incriminating look. Somehow, it managed to make you feel guilty. Commander Morrison knew of your romantic affairs. There was no doubt about it.