But Steven couldn't. It was as though somebody had closed his mouth shut forever.

'I think it would be best if we all sat down.'

'I've told you already, I don't want to sit down; I just want to see my children.' Fiona said; a second time. And again, she looked over at Steven, hoping he would say something.

But Steven couldn't. He could only listen.

'As you know, I'm from the children's department.'

'You said that already.'

Angela smiled. It was a smug grin. 'If we could just remain calm, that would really help. I do realise how upsetting this must be.'

'You've no idea.' Fiona said sharply. Showing no love for this stranger who went on.

'I'm here because the hospital got in contact.'

'After midnight?'

Fiona was surprised by the words spoken, and only now did she realise how grave the situation was. Not that she didn't know beforehand, but Angela's presence gave weight to that pressing issue.

'They phone the emergency number.'

'But why?' Steven suddenly asked. His eyes never leaving the social worker.

'Because on your daughter's body, the nurse who examined her found bruising and bite marks. Not to mention around your daughter's throat vital signs. She had been strangled.'

'And you think we did that?'

'Nobody is saying you did, but because of these findings, I can only speculate that malpractice might be the reason for these injuries. And under the child protection act 2004. By state law, we have to be notified.'

The old man suddenly popped into Steven's head. That bastard, he thought.

Angela, with a briefcase resting on her lap, spoke curtly and to the point.

'Because of these allegations, I'm afraid that we have no choice — but to take your children into care.'

Fiona's world suddenly came crashing down with this grim news.

Because with everything she had gone through with her family. This had to be the worse. A complete stranger, breaking them up. It wasn't fair; it wasn't right.

'Please ...'

Fiona went to speak more, but she couldn't. The tears were already choking her. She was crying with a lump in her throat. It was a painful sound. One that Steven couldn't ignore, and he held her.

'It's all a job to you cunts, ain't it.' Steven spoke, his eyes bulging with anger. A part of him wanted to take a swing at the social worker, but taking that course of action wouldn't help the situation. And raising your hand to a woman was cowardly work.

'I know you're both upset. I understand that. I really do.'

A cry of desperation sprung up in Fiona's voice as though she were standing at the edge of a cliff and her captor was about to push her down. 'Can't we just see them?'

'I'm afraid that is out of the question.' No mercy from the social worker, no lifeline, nothing.

'Do you even have kids?'

'I'm not obliged to answer that question.'

Fiona answered the question for her.

'No, you don't, because if you did — you wouldn't be doing this. You'd been going after those who really do hurt their children.'