Carefree Intentions.

TW: Mentions of suicide.
*Also, the title is important.*
IG: shakesqueerbooks
Tumblr: writinglangst8703
---
______________

The group laughed, exiting the grand castle as their boots touched ground on the land of the Wittigen. “Hunk, control your appetite!”

“Don't scare them with your massive intent to eat anything in sight!” Lance teases, nudging his friend with a playful smirk. Pidge exchanged a comment, and even Keith smiled.

The Paladins were on a planet called Wittigania, home of the Wittigen. They were a silent civilization, who mostly kept to themselves. Only a recent attack from the Galra had drawn the introverted society to seek help.

Wittigen people were adapt to a sort of sixth sense, and not because of their four arms, yellow-purple skin, and double sets of eyes. The Wittigen could sense intentions in all, no matter the species. Hence, Lance's joke.

“Listen, Paladins,” Coran said into everyone's communication devices within their helmets. “This is a serious mission. We're here to help, but we cannot stay long.”

Everyone exchanged a look.

“The Wittigen are a cautious type. If you have an intention, or a mere thought, they could deem it threatening.” Coran took a pause, “I remember as a lad I came here with my---”

Keith interrupted him, “Clear our heads, got it.”

Lance smiled, “Good thing. All the Wittigen ladies are gonna take one good look at the Blue Paladin, and their intent is me.”

“Lance, not now. These people are in danger, and we may be to. Like Coran said, we have to make this quick.” Shiro said sternly, lightly scolding his teammate.

“Shiro is right, let's go guys.” That was Pidge. Everyone nodded, jokes dying, and they started towards their destination where the Wittigen gathered.

Lance didn't move for a moment, throat tight, watching them walk off. “Yeah...Sorry.” He followed after them, trailing behind a little.

That was unfair of Shiro. Lance was only trying to make everyone laugh, lighten the mood. And he had! Why was he scolded then…?

Because you're annoying.

It's funny until you said anything.

Lance bit his cheek, persing his lips. They would joke and have a good time, but seemingly it would all go sour the moment Lance joined.

Seventh Wheel.

That's a terrible wheel to be.

“Approaching the castle. Coran, are we good?” Alluras asked, waving towards the Wittigen society starting to crowd towards them.

“Looks like it, Princess​! Good to go! Follow them into the palace, and from there the emperor should be waiting.”

Walking on, briefly socializing with the audience of Wittigen, Paladins and Princess stood at the hull of the ship-like building.

It was once a flying palace, had they crashed?

“Halt!”

Shiro looked towards the shouted, “Stop.” The word was indicated at his crew. Hunk shifted nervously.

“You have landed on Wittigania, home of Emperor Vexok. Halt for inspection.” A guard informed, and no one went against him.

Pidge smiled as the interesting species walked around them, despite their weapons. She was intrigued by their unique ability, which they must have sensed. She had the intent of knowledge.

“Green, proceed to the castle.”

The guards went one by one, and with each member of the group they were allowed in.

That was until they got to Lance.

“Stop.” A guard said, and without warning two more were there, standing behind Lance. The blue Paladin shot his friends a nervous smile, unaware of what was going on.

They looked just as confused.

“Hey, what's going on guys? I'm not going to--”

“Quiet! We know your intentions, you cannot hide it from us.” The two guards behind Lance grabbed him by the arms quickly.

“Hey!” Lance protested, similar to his team.

“What's the matter?” That was Shiro, again.

“This one has​ malicious intentions to kill, he cannot be allowed in. Emperor Vexok shall not be harmed, the Blue Paladin is a threat.”

Pidge blinked, along with Hunk. “Malicious intent to kill? Ha, okay, I'm sorry to break it to you but that's not Lance. Right, Lance?”

Keith remained quiet, eyes narrowed. Princess Allura is the one who spoke next.

“Wittigen people, I assure you Lance does not have any intention of killing your emperor. We are Paladins of Voltron, only here to protec--”

The guard slammed his staff into the rocky surface of the ground​, causing it to crack.

“He must be removed. Leave now.”

Lance was thoroughly confused. He didn't want to kill their Emperor! Maybe this guard was just--- Oh. Oh.

The anxiety of being in possible danger for something he had no clue drained, and Lance was casual. “Oh, that.” He shrugged, which warned the grip on his arms to be tighter.

Lance had been silent since they'd arrived in his planet and Shiro had chastised him. “You're probably feeling how I want to kill myself.”

In his helmet, Lance heard the chorus of his friends’ breath catching. The guard in front of him turned. “You have no intention of killing our Emperor?”

Lance shook his head, vaguely aware of his entire team staring at him. The silence in his ears.

They were all permitted into the palace, but this time Lance led the way. He couldn't look at them.

His intentions were true. But they didn't want anything. Why would they? If he was dead then Shiro wouldn't have to chastise anyone. Missions could get done better with Lance out if the way. It was that simple.

And with those Wittigen guns pointed at him when he'd been held, he had almost hoped they'd fire. But not in front of his friends.

Speaking of them, they all were walking slower than what would have been normal. Glances at Lance were passed back and forth, heads shaking occasionally.

Lance wouldn't.

He was only joking, that's​ Lance.

But why would Lance have made a 'joke’ on something as serious as that? Suicide?

Lance was acting so casual,  like the event from not even three minutes ago had never occurred. It had to be a joke.

Maybe it was the way he'd barely reacted to the weapons, or thinking back to how Lance was in battle. How carefree he was.

Maybe carefree, is just another word for suicidal.