90 days to love - Chapter 20

I pick up my glowing amber pendant and fasten the clasp around my neck. The necklace Jared gave to me immediately makes me stronger and dulls the sickening nausea that rises from my stomach to my throat. It also draws some of the attention away from my faded pea-green chest. It becomes more faint every day. I pat the morphine travel pack underneath my arm; it creates a bump in my dress but at least I can actually go to the conference. Without it I'm about as useless as a blunt knife.

I reach down to the floor and lace my tie-up black wedges and smooth out my navy pencil dress. I'm almost ready for the decision with exception of my hair. I look smart and sophisticated; after all I am going to a press conference. The Leto press conference to be exact.

It's been 3 lonely days since I was revived; no Carlisle, no Ally, no Iron and even no Leto. The only person I've had company from is Jared but even that has been limited. He's been called back and forwards by the Rex and the Guard for trials of the 'murder' of the Leto. Every time he comes back angrier and angrier; it gets to the stage where I hide in the bathroom while he takes his rage out upon anything and everything. After a broken hand and a clear head, he finally realised that he can't calm his fury on the mirror; now he resorts to a punching bag.

'You look nice' Jared comments. I turn around to face him.

'Thank you' I reply politely. He nods and I avert my eyes. I shudder of my awkwardness and walk to the dressing table. I activate the control pad on the desk and the large purple helmet descends from the ceiling. I stick with the 'business' theme as I select my hairstyle. The machine begins to vibrate and massage my head.

'Lara?' Jared calls. I can see him in the mirror sitting on the lilac couch directly behind me.

'Yes?'

'What do you think they're going to announce today?' He asks nervously. I swallow and hesitate. It's the question that's been running through my mind for the last 3 days. There has been no word from either Carlisle or the Leto. I looked it up on the Leto news and even ordered the control pad to translate it to English yet I still found nothing. I received the details of the conference this morning from the control panel in my room. 'Leto conference ship, chamber 6'.

I lick my lips. "I don't know - would they have spent so long debating this if they were just kill us all off?" I puzzle out. That probably wasn't a helpful answer considering I replied with a question.

'I guess. If there wasn't sufficient evidence the Rex wouldn't have even considered discussing whether we formed an 'established' bond of love' Jared mimics.

"You sound like him."

Jared's eyes widen in alarm. 'Don't ever say that again' He growls.

'Just kidding' I hold my hands up in surrender. The machine beeps and the helmet is lifted from my head. I pat my hair in satisfaction and stare at it the mirror. My flawless braid loops around my head. I select the makeup I want and press down on the control pad. I shut my eyes and surrender myself to the machine's control.

'Lara if they decide we've completed the conditions, they are still going to be consequences for my killing of the Leto' Jared sighs.

'Not if you're innocent' I protest. The machine applies light pressure to my eyelids as I try and stay relaxed.

'They've already decided I'm guilty Lara and I don't know what my punishment will be this time' He says sadly.

'Look Jared that's not going to happen' I exclaim weakly. If Jared dies my fate will be inevitable. Despite our current status of 'friends' I will not be able to deal with the agony of the bond if he passes on. Jared doesn't respond. Knowing him, he's probably torturing himself with gruesome images.