90 days to love - Chapter 5

The white door slides closed as we slip into the open. The Rex stands at the edge of the balcony with his back to us. The cool breeze raises the hair on my arms and I snuggle closer to Jared's warmth. His body shudders and immediately drops me on a white garden couch.

"I told you not to move." Jared hisses. I frown up at him.

"The outside is beautiful is it not?" The Rex calls from brink of the white terrace. He turns round and points at the night sky behind him. The moon is huge, beaming in its white glory. The constellations of stars fill the bluey-black sky and twinkle. I gasp in awe and wonder. Jared is nonchalant and seemingly unimpressed.

"Is this real?" I whisper. It's incredible - I've never seen anything like this.

"Lara Hall, we are located in the 1837 A class Leto ship. This is a hologram." The Rex says.

I continue to gawp at the stars, enraptured with their fake magnificence.

"Lara Hall and Jared Miller." The Rex begins, calling both our attention to him. "You have been called to this meeting to explain to you the fate of the Human species. Your ignorance of the terms of the agreement has been noted and monitored at this evenings dinner."

"What have we done?" Jared says sitting down next to me and entwining our fingers. His face remains emotionless as does the gesture as his eyes glimmer in a void of darkness.

"The male and female character evidences have proven they are incapable of forming genuine attachments. Under the careful supervision of the Leto Guard and The Leto Rex this evening they have shown their developing love to be both false and impersonal. There has been no indication of effort by either character evidence. By attempting to fool the Leto, Lara Hall and Jared Miller will suffer the consequences. Commencing in 12 hours, 18 minutes and 45 seconds, mankind will cease to exist and the character witnesses Lara Hall and Jared Miller will join their species on board the 'Externium' ship." The Leto Rex says, as if he's reading from a script.

I feel Jared's hand tighten around my own. I'm left floundering in stunned silence but Jared seems to process the information before I do.

"You can't do that."Jared says as he jumps up.

"The character evidences did not form and prove an established bond of love. Therefore Lara Hall and Jared Miller have not exhibited proof that Humanity has the potential to show compassion for one another. The conditions have not been met." The Rex declares. I suddenly have a desire to leave scratches all over his perfect, cloned face. The bolt of anger I feel, is more powerful and overwhelming than anything I have felt before. My body seems entirely too receptive to the concept of violence this evening.

"That's because it's been 10 bloody days." Jared roars. "And she was unconscious for 7 of them."

He points at me. I cower back into the couch in fright. Nobody has ever looked at me with this much hate. It's then I realise that I don't want him to be angry at me.

Jared's eyes lighten. He sinks back beside me, sighing loudly. I can feel radiation waves of anger seeping off him.

"Lara I'm sorry" He sighs, squeezing my hand.

"Don't touch me' I say.

His fury harvested within is overwhelming. I turn to the Rex and feel the anger dance within me. This is his fault.

"There is no way we can 'form and establish a bond' of love." Jared mocks, using his fingers to quote the Rex's words. "In 10 days. It is not possible." He drops his voice to a cold, strained tone as he tries to rein in his furious aggravation. It's lethal.