90 days to love - Chapter 2

I awake the next morning tangled in the pristine bed sheets. I allow the silk to caress and leave my skin as I swing my legs out onto the floor. I press the button on my bedside table to call for my breakfast. Seconds later a steaming plate of fresh food appears on the round table to the left of my bed. I roll my eyes at the technology. 

I savour the meal bite by bite. It's the first bit of proper food I've had in months.

The room I've been placed in is clean to say the least. An enormous white canopy bed, white dressing table, white ensuite bathroom, white closet and the white granite table and chair at which I sit now. I catch sight of myself in the large mirror attached to the closet. My bedhead is shocking. I'm the only mess in this perfect room.

I glance down at the control pad; it's meagre existence is designed to make every easy and simple as it helps. It does what the Leto were designed to do. Each control pad is different yet the activation for them are all the same. To awake the robotic pad, all I have to do is press the large red button in the middle, say my name and then it is at my disposal. Depending on where the control pad is located and on what piece of furniture or wall, the buttons can vary. It's voice control is far simpler to use though.

I push a button on the table and my empty plate disappears.

I should probably begin to get ready. Today is the day I meet Jared Miller. My anxiety has been rapidly increasing and growing since the moment I fell asleep. The moment the truth suddenly dawned on me. It shouldn't be that hard, I am one of the few Humans who still possessed the ability to love.

I skip over to the dressing table. After selecting the look and hairstyle I want, the machine begins to work. The gentle vibration relaxes me as I think about my former life.

They call us the 'Caritas'. We are a rare breed of Human. We possess the ability to love an individual unconditionally after passing 3 simple phases. It makes us different; it makes us unique.

It wasn't that Humans couldn't love each other, it's because they chose their love of metal over their family. I was considered strange for that reason. It's understandable. I was different because I didn't always want to use the technology to communicate. For that reason, the other kids picked on me. Not to my face but over the compulsory machines that we used at school.

I have only two hatreds in this world; almost an anathema for a Caritas. My first detestation is the Leto and my second are Torpens. These cold beings are Humans who have sold their souls and therefore all emotion for money, sex or sometimes just out of their own grief. They are too far out to reach. So far they even do unethical and cruel things. These aversions make me an anomaly.

My eyes begin to tear up. A Torpen stole away the most important thing from me.

I can deal with a cold hearted and cynical man, but not these two.

The machine finishes up and I'm left polished and flawless. My hair is styled to perfection but is swiftly ruined as I twiddle my fresh braid. 

"Lara Hall, please report to the throne room in 10 minutes" A Leto's voice echoes around the room. My eyes search for the source; the control pad.