90 days to love - Chapter 17

The following morning, I am awoken from my slumber by the fuzzy blare of the speaker. The sound is painful to listen to. The glitchy sound portrays its neglect; it is as if it has never been used. I sit up as the sound suddenly loses its defective quality and the line runs clearly.

'Commencing in 27 hours 59 minutes and 48 seconds, the Human species will be eradicated as the terms of the conditions have been terminated by the female character Lara Hall and the male character evidence Jared Miller. There will be no pain. These orders have come directly from the Leto Rex. Rest in peace'

My fists clench as I glare at the inanimate speaker. My tongue twists, attempting to find some feeling or some thought process. Yet I can't. My eyes fall as I stare hopelessly at the lilac sheets of the bed. I can't choke out any sort of emotion. I've destroyed humanity.

I shove off the duvet cocoon and I lower my feet to the floor. The cool tile is a shock after the warmth of the bed. I sweep my hair up and wrap my band around it. My eyes dart around the room, focusing in on the clothes I wore yesterday. The baggy tracksuits bunch around my hips as I tug the strings excessively tight around my waist. I head for the door. I need Iron; I need a release from the pent up anger.

I jog down the corridor and call the lift. This ship is made of levels. The higher the level, the older the age group that are accommodated there. I groan in frustration as I realise I do not know what floor Iron is on. I bite the inside of my cheek so hard I draw blood. It only increases my vexation. Placing my lukewarm palm against my burning forehead, I try to ignore my panicked reflexes as I lean against the lift walls.

It take everything just to breathe calmly. Once I manage to slow my breathing rate, I attempt to think logical. My mother is middle-aged and she lives on level 5. Hesitantly, I press the button for the 3 floor, praying my hunch is correct.

The lift siren flashed red and the doors open. I'm presented with a royal blue corridor, swarming with a mix of girls and boys. They all look to be about my age.

I step cautiously onto the plush carpet, feeling enclosed by the narrow blue walls and the low ceiling. The crowd of adolescents don't spare a glance in my direction. They seem far too engrossed in their whispered conversations. I step forward again and hear the lift doors close behind me. I continue to advance forward. My lip curls into an alarmed frown. Why have they not noticed me?

When I'm close enough to be heard, my eyes fall upon a blond haired boy who sits apart from the others; he seems vaguely familiar. His seaweed green eyes are locked on the girl who sits opposite him. Their entwined fingers and complete obliviousness to their surroundings represents their bond. My shoulder begins to tingle at the base of my neck and my fingers immediately move to it. My eyes droop to the floor. I miss him.

"Hello." The boy says.

I lift my gaze to focus on the boy, squinting as try to remember his face; I'm positive I have seen it somewhere before.

"Hi" I reply. The boy smiles and the girl next to him does the same. They look very similar with the same honey coloured hair and pixie eyes.

"I'm Seb and this is Millie" He indicates at the girl and she smiles once more.

"Seb?" His name rolls on my tongue. Where do I know this boy from?

"Yes, Seb Martyn" He eyes me speculatively. I repeat his name in my head before I finally realise where I've heard his name before.

"Seb Martyn as in Corruptio city track, national champion for the 1500?"

Seb's eyes widen as I speak. "Do I know you? You look very familiar?"