90 days to love - Chapter 12

"Thank God." I hear Jared breathe as my eyes open.

My tingling fingers are the only part of my sapped body that feel distinctly superior as they wallow in Jared's touch. My head pounds as I rub the sleep out of my eyes. The fresh pillow feels crisp and cool against my feverish skin. I twist my fingers through my hair, pained by the sudden yanks I have to enforce at the expense of its condition. My normal waist-length curls sag in dead matted clumps and my highlights appear a dirty blond colour from their neglect. If my hair is this bad, I don't want to even look at my face in the mirror. Jared however seems even worse than me.

His black hair is unintentionally tousled and messy; the result of his fingers frequently driving through. His tan skin has lost its rosy glow and the bags that cushion his eyes puff out, bordered by purplish rings. Jared's eyes however are what scare me most. They're lost; soul-less. They brighten as I smile at him, but he continues to place more pressure on my hand.

"How long was it this time?" I groan, the energy of my body completely leached.

"2 days" He smiles forlornly at me "I let the trespassers use the medicine."

I pause, processing the information. "Thank you" I whisper.

It would've taken a lot of persuading for Jared to hand me over to the hands of the Leto; to ask for their assistance. I pick up his hand and place a gentle butterfly kiss on it. He smiles, tears in his eyes.

"Why are you crying?" I ask, thrown by the sight of his forlorn expression.

It makes me uneasy to see him tear up; I feel vulnerable. He doesn't answer and just gets up. He carefully lifts me in his arms. I cringe when I see I'm wearing the butt crack gown; the bright light of the infirmary hides nothing. He sets himself onto the bed and places me in his lap and pulls the duvet over me. His skin feels cool against mine and I lay my head against his chest. The distinct iciness of his touch has me shivering.

He kisses my forehead as I flick away the silent tear that traces his hollow cheek.

"Lara, you had no heartbeat."

"I had no heartbeat?"

"You're heart stopped Lara. The doctor had to inject you with the Vial. They didn't know whether you would wake up." He says/ I caress his cheek with the palm of my hand. "The pain inside, it started again" He whimpers. I slowly stroke his cheek as my own panic sets in.

"Jared" I mumble. He pulls me back to his body; restricting my movements as he holds me close.

For once I don't fight him. We don't speak; we don't argue; we just sit. I try and register my thoughts. I died? Why did I die? I muddle through the confused wires of my brain. Jared's lips are planted against my forehead and he doesn't remove them.

"Lara." His voice breaks through my confusion.