90 days to love - Chapter 19 pt. ii

There’s silence; subdued, serene stillness. I assess the situation in my mind. I’m sitting in Jared’s lap, the Leto stand a mere few metres away and the Leto Rex has just announced despite everything, humanity’s time is up. The other members of the Leto Guard stand awkwardly, either looking around the purple room or to the broken door on the floor.

Without leaving a second to question my judgement, I leap up out of the bed and scramble towards the Leto Rex, howling like a banshee. My arms are just about to wring the Rex’s scrawny neck when I feel the needle being plucked from my arm; I’ve gone too far.

I’m a sheer 50cm away from the Rex and the last thing I see before I hit the floor is his arrogant smirk. Then the fire begins to burn. The flames around my ribs alight my bones. I scream, barely noticing the fact I’ve become airborne. My vision continuously blacks out with gloomy dots spotting around me. My lungs become tighter and tighter with every shall rasp of breath.

I wheeze as I roll round on a new softer surface until I feel a tiny prick in my arm; its nothing compared to the agony of my ribs.  Then the morphine is returned to my system; the black spots disappear from my sight. I’m able to retain my normal breathing patterns though my body shudders from the lack of oxygen.

‘Lara, Lara, can you hear me?’ Jared’s voice echoes through to my ears. I cough trying as hard as I can to suck in the precious air. My eyes snap open to see an enormous black shape crouched over me. I scream in shock and try to roll away. I bury my face in the pillow and sob with relief at being able to breathe. I stroke my green chest and cringe at its alien disgust. I feel Jared climb off the top of me and settle by my side, pulling me into his chest.

I forget about the Leto’s and even Iron’s presences as I weep in Jared’s strong, safe chest, shifting a close as possible as he continues coo into my ear and stroke my hair.

The sound of a throat being cleared stifles my sobs as I crawl out of Jared’s chest. Iron stands beside my bed, his fists curled into hard balls. The Leto however remain impassive with the exception of the Rex whose smirk endures the lethal glower all three humans are giving him.

‘Leto Rex’ Iron says mockingly. ‘How much longer to we have exactly?’ He stares daggers at the Rex and when I look up I see Jared doing the exact same; so I join in too.

‘Achilles Knoxx, the human race will be exterminated in 3 hours 20 minutes and 19 seconds counting. That will complete the agreed time deadline of the conditions’

‘Excuse me Leto Rex’ A red-headed Leto steps forward and bows respectfully. I roll my eyes in disgust at the unforced devotion she has towards her leader.

‘Yes Leto 37919347, is there a problem?’ The Leto Rex turns.

‘I’m sorry for questioning your orders Leto Rex, but the members of the Leto guard and I were under the impression that the conditions agreed upon by the male and female character evidences had been completed?’ The Guards nods in unison. My ears perk up as the Leto’s words capture my attention. Although I can only see half of the Leto Rex’s face, his arrogant smirk droops into a calamitous frown; I smile.

‘Sorry what?’ Jared interrupts.

‘Please explain yourself Leto 37919347’ The Rex orders monotonously. The Leto shows no fear under the Rex’s scrutiny but instead tosses her flaming red hair behind her shoulders and checks with the other Leto’s who nod for her to continue.