Episode 23

Jeffrey cocked his head down and was rewarded by a casual smile from Jane. He wondered what was the specific reason-walking in the garden with him or remembering a more relaxed time in her life.

“M’ lord, until now I’ve never truly appreciated the flowers. I do believe having everything in the open has given me a renewed spirit.”

“Then might I suggest we take this briefest of respites and enjoy the view. I would then recommend we visit the pond for pleasurable quiet it can provide,” he spoke before glancing over his shoulder to see if Mrs Linwood was following. Much to his surprise she’d drifted back allowing them more space so they could converse without being overheard.

“The last time I was here with Lady Abigail all she wished to do was throw stones in the water. It would be enjoyable to sit in the pond house and take in the sights.”

“Then my dear that’s all we’ll do. Relax. If we’re lucky a deer might come down and drink or a trout might rise from the water to catch a fly,” he told her.

“Do you really think so?” she asked excitedly.

“Yes, I’ve gotten reports from the woodsman and head gardener not only deer but fox have been spotted at the area. We will have to be calm though,” Jeffrey said, even though he knew Jane wasn’t one who chattered on endlessly about nothing of import.

Turning down a narrower path lined with decorative grasses Jeffrey saw the building in the distance and halted.

“If we’re quiet on our approach then we might catch a glimpse of some wild animal browsing.” He told her looking into her eyes, then on seeing the tip of her tongue moisten her lips he suddenly knew this was a bad idea. For her protection, from him, he glanced over his shoulder to see his housekeeper was farther behind than before.

“Jane, it seems our chaperone has decided I’m more trustworthy than  thought,” he whispered for fear of chasing off any deer.

“I’m sure Mrs. Linwood has a very good reason for what she’s doing,” she answered in a soft voice to match his.

Yes, he thought, putting me in a position where I might compromise you thus saving you from having to marry Lord Stevens.

Helping her step into the pond house he noticed how not only her eyes but face lit as she looked around the main room. A wicker divan with thick cushions in a deep green was set so the person sitting could watch out over the pond. A matching chair and table completed the basic furnishings. A simple light brown rug covered the center of the space protecting the furniture from causing damage to the polished maple floor.

Along the back wall stood a table with several crystal carafes and glasses. If memory served him one held whisky while the other sherry in case the lady visiting cared for a glass. To its right a simple oak door was open allowing them to see daybed with a light green and brown blanket folded at its foot.

“I know it might be a bit early but would you care for a sherry as it seems Mrs. Linwood hasn’t provided for us?” Jeffrey asked.

“Yes please. Don’t forget since she didn’t know we were coming out here you should give her an allowance for that.”

“I will but something tells me she might show up with something for us,” he said, handing her a sherry.

Jeffrey watched as she took a sip then with the tip of her tongue retrieve a drop from the corner of her mouth. He waved her toward the divan and waited until she sat and arranged her morning dress then joined her.

“I could stay here all day, it’s so beautiful,” she said looking out to the pond.

“Then we shall,” he answered taking her hand in his and rubbed his thumb along its knuckles.