Episode 20

It took all of her willpower not to giggle at the sight presented to her. Crossing her arms over her chest Jane looked from one to the next, ending with Abigail.

“I’m sorry Miss Jane, I did my best to prevent this mess,” Jackie apologized.

“Think nothing of it.” Jane then leveled a glare on the children. “However, this is the last time this behavior will be tolerated. Jam belongs in the mouth, not around it,” she scolded, then gave them a slight smile.

“Might you have a suggestion to entertain everyone today?” Jackie asked.

“Yes, Lady Abigail has a pianoforte lesson so I was thinking since it’s a beautiful day have the others outside. Mayhap you could read them a story and take them for a short walk through the garden. I’ll talk with Cook about a picnic at the pond,” Jane explained.

With the children’s hands and faces cleaned Abigail and Jane went to the music room while the others, under the watchful eye of Jackie made their way outside.

* * * *

After informing Mrs. Linwood she’d be losing a maid for a few days, which earned him a nod of approval for his choice he went to his office only to be greeted by a large stack of mail.

On top of the pile he noticed a letter from The Duke of Kent. Knowing it to be important as they, on previous exchanges had agreed not to write unless it was urgent, he broke the seal and withdrew several sheets of parchment. The top letter was from the duke while the second from the duchess he noted was addressed to Jane.

He forced himself not to read that one but took up the duke’s.

Weston,

I’ve learned through my agents Lord Stevens has attempted to hunt down Lady Jane on my estates since I’d informed him she’d gone to one of them. Fortunately he didn’t find her so is now hunting her down at my acquaintances estates.

I fear he’ll send someone to see if she’s in hiding on yours.

After a lengthy discussion with the duchess we’ve decided you need to inform her you know of her true self. Only this way will you be able to protect her as we know you can.

Your Humble Servant,

Kenneth

Duke of Kent

Even though he’s not wanted to read over the letter to Jane moments ago, now more than ever he felt it necessary. Much to his wonderment he didn’t, folded it and set it aside.

No, I have to give her the privacy she requires, but she still needs to know I know who she is as he father instructed me to.

Hearing the plinking of the pianoforte in the distance he knew Jane was working with his daughter on a piece she tried last night.

Turning his attention, for the time being, to the pile of invitations he looked through them. They mostly consisted of requests for teas, picnics and a recital of which he knew the latter would be sent regrets.

The sound of children outside the window distracted him as he started to review the first of the estate reports. Going over he looked out to see Abigail and the other Johnson children play tag.

Turning back to his desk he collected the letter from the duchess and was about to start outside when as an afterthought he grabbed up the letter from the duke.

Outside on the terrace he found her sitting on a bench near the foot of the step down to the lawn. Descending the stairs he heard him being called by Abigail so he gave her a wave then marched over to her governess.

“Lady Jane Stanton, we need to talk.”