Episode 16

Over the top of the little child’s head Jeffrey watched Jane rush over, panic evident in her eyes.

“I’ve got her,” he called out, then swung Sue into the back of the cart. He told her to have a seat on the floor before turning back to the others.

“M’ lord, you’re all covered in mud,” Martha cried out as she came over.

“Dear lady, this isn’t the first nor will it be the last time dirt will find its way onto me. Now, let’s get everyone loaded up and back to the mansion,” he announced calmly, wanting to ease the worry of everyone. Of course, what might happen when they pulled into the mansion courtyard might be a different story.

Once all five were settled in the cart, with Abigail and Rich in charge, Jeffrey handed Jane up to the seat then turned back to the Johnson’s. He could see, especially from Martha, a nervousness which was totally understandable.

“There’s nothing to concern yourselves with. Jane will, as we’ve already seen, be able to handle everyone.”

With waves and child screams of good-bye they left the farmstead and returned to the mansion.

As they drove into the courtyard Jeffrey glanced back, wondering why the silence. Turning back to Jane he grinned then whispered.

“Didn’t you wonder why we haven’t heard anything from the children?”

“No, m’ lord. I knew they were all asleep. They’ve been that way soon after we departed the farm.”

“Why didn’t you say something?”

“And what exactly would you have done, not awakened them I hope,” Jane teased.

“Of course not. Won’t napping now make it hard for them to sleep tonight?” he asked.

When Jeffrey didn’t hear a response to his question he cocked his head toward her, only to see a mischievous grin on her lips. He was about to say something when he saw Danny come strolling out from the stable.

“Welcome back m’ lord, Miss Jane. I was beginning to worry with you being gone so long.”

“Thank you. We stopped by the Johnson farm and brought back a few more children than we left with,” he told the man.

From behind the viscount heard a yawn then from Abigail, “Daddy, are we back home?”

Turning in the seat he watched as his daughter, first, then the others stretched as they woke. Not surprising Sue had a confused look in her eyes.

“Danny, rush to the mansion and have Mrs. Linwood along with Harold come here. Don’t tell them why I want them,” the viscount ordered, then climbed down and helped Jane from the cart seat.

If he wasn’t mistaken he could have sworn he heard a devilish chuckle from the man as he headed for the rear of the mansion.

“M’ lord, let me make sure they’re all awake then I’ll get them out so they can meet your butler and housekeeper,” Jane said.

“No wait. Considering how they look, especially my daughter, I feel we should let my senior staff get the full impact.”

“You do have a definite playful streak in you today, m’ lord.”

“Why thank you,” he replied smirk before stepping around to the back of the cart. “All right children I see you’re all awake but I need you to be quiet and hidden for a few minutes. Do you think you can do that for me?”

He watched as Abigail glanced to Rich, smiled then turned back.

“Yes. we can Father.”

Hearing the sound of footsteps approaching Jeffrey turned around only to be greeted by Mrs. Linwood and Harold walking across the courtyard and talking between themselves. From the expressions on both faces he suspected they knew why he wanted to see them.