Episode Seven

Jeffrey could feel his eyes widen and mouth drop open at his daughter’s declaration. As the two stepped through the doorway he tried to collect himself when Jane glanced back over to him. What he found even more disheartening was the raised brow look she sent him. Unfortunately the best he could do was give her a shrug.

****

“Jane, what do you think? Did I handle the Father properly? Abigail asked, while scrubbing her face clean with a wash cloth.

“I do believe from the expression the Lord Weston’s face you completely surprised him. Now, come on over here so I can fix your hair.”

As she skipped over to the dressing table she asked, “Can I have it set up on my head like the grown-up ladies have? You know what I mean, like I’ve seen you do late at night when you think I’ve been sleeping.”

Jane gulped at her charges words. “I was practicing for when you get older and started to go out in society. As you’ve said, on many occasions, to the Viscount we get along so well I was hoping he’d keep me on as your companion.”

“I’d love that. What would be even better would be if you were my Mother?” Abigail said giving Jane a hug and kiss on the cheek.

“You know that’s not my decision to make Abigail. Anyways do you think Lord Weston would even consider someone of my low birth,” Jane asked trying to soften her words.

Abigail shook her head trying to fight back her tears. With a sniffle she looked over to her friend and forced a smile.

“I can always hope, can’t I?.”

“Yes, now darling we should finish getting you dressed so I can fix my hair. I think the pale blue gown? It has the proper amount of demureness to it for a lady of your tender age,” Jane suggested.

“Oh I love that one,” Abigail responded trying not to jump up and down in excitement, as she knew it would be improper.

With her hair fixed and changed Abigail sat on a stool near her dressing table watching Jane get herself ready. Absentmindedly, she started to swing her legs as was her habit. Noticing her governess look too her she realized what she was doing, not sitting as a young lady should. She stopped and crossed one ankle over the other then gently clasped her hands settling them in her lap.

“Much better. When we’re having the pastries Cook sends, remember to take small bites and don’t talk with your mouth full,” Jane reminded her charge.

“And no gulping my tea but small silent sips. Can I hold my cup with both hands?”

“I don’t see why not as it might be easier for you. We should make sure there’s a stool for you to sit on if you have trouble with a chair,” Jane recommended.

Seeing Jane was ready she hopped down then made a point of slowly walking to the bedroom door, remembering a lady never rushes.

“Shall we join Father?”

“Yes. Now this is also a good time to give you a short lesson on dealing with men.”

Abigail did her best to not groan and to her surprise instead she smiled.

“I’m not sure how true this will hold for the Viscount but as you get older let them wait. A lady never hastens to make herself presentable and the gentleman will appreciate it.”

“Is that why you didn’t tell me to hurry and took your time with mine and your hair?”

She smiled when Jane nodded in agreement.

Hand in hand the two set off for the sitting room. Abigail halting short of the door in front of a mirror in which she checked her hair one last time to a subtle giggle from Jane, then together entered.