Episode Six

At his desk Jeffrey withdrew a sheet of foolscap, then checked the nib on his quill pen. Satisfied he forced his mind on the task at hand, to compose a letter to his carpenter, not on a certain lady. He needed the man to inspect the roof of the Johnson house and inform him of the time it would take repair it. He emphasized the work needed to be done soon as the weather was about to change for the worse.

That minor problem, compared to Jane, out of the way he stormed to the tantalus to pour a brandy. Tossing the tawny liquid back he relished the burn as it slid down his throat. He was about to pour another when Harold entered.

“M’ lord, will you be having tea?”

With a glance to the gold inlaid clock on the oak mantelpiece he nodded. As the butler started to depart Jeffrey halted him, “Wait. Before you serve tea to either myself or Lady Abigail and Jane I need to speak with Mrs. Linwood.”

“At once, m’ lord,” he said, bowed then slipped from the room.

Minutes later his housekeeper entered.

“Mrs. Linwood, I know the viscountess’ sitting room is cleaned but still has the covers over the furniture. I’ve decided to have it reopened.”

“Yes m’ lord, I’ve had one of the maids dust and polish weekly and once a month changed out the sheets. It should only take a few minutes to set it to right.”

Jeffrey leaned back in his chair, smiled then with a nod dismissed her so the room could again be used. As she stepped through the door he wasn’t surprised when she stopped and turned back.

“Will you be wishing your tea now, m’ lord? Jane has only now sent down for hers and Lady Abigail’s.”

“Wait on mine and theirs until the sitting room is ready. From now on we will be enjoying tea together there. Trust me when I say all will become clear shortly.”

“As you wish, m’ lord,” she said, before continuing on her way.

With that accomplished he set off to find his daughter and her governess. He suspected they would be in the classroom as it was one of Abigail’s favorite rooms unlike him who disliked the confines of books.

Climbing the stairs to the third floor he strolled down the corridor and smiled when he heard Abigail reading from one of her books. Peering into the room he noticed Jane was sitting on the floor with his daughter resting a shoulder against hers.

“Now, isn’t this an interesting way to study,” he announced slipping in on the unsuspecting ladies.

“Daddy,” Abigail called out as she jumped up which allowed Jane to stand.

“M’ lord,” Jane spoke as she stood then curtsied.

“Ladies, I thought we’d have tea together as I’ve an announcement to make which will make us all happy.”

“It would be our pleasure, m’ lord,” Jane said.

“I’ve decided to open the viscountess sitting room so shall we retire to there.”

“Father, if we’re having tea there then I must look the part of a lady,” Abigail announced in her most determined voice.

It was all Jeffrey could do to keep from laughing until he caught the glare from Jane to which he tried a smile but failed.

“I don’t understand my dearest? You look beautiful,” he said trying to recover from his almost action.

“Father, for a girl in the classroom yes. My hair needs to be redone as it’s close to a rats nest and my dress is wrinkled and dirty. Come Jane. We need to set me to rights,” Abigail announced grabbing Jane by the hand and leading her out of the room.