Episode Ten

London, The Duke of Kent townhouse

“Yes Your Grace,” Jackson, the ducal butler, announced.

“Would you inform His Grace I need to speak with him immediately,” The Duchess of Kent, Joanna, instructed the him, while holding up a sheet of paper.

“Certainly Your Grace. However, I should point out he’s meeting with The Viscount of Stroud, Lord Stevens at this moment.”

“What on earth is that horrid man doing here? Didn’t His Grace instruct he wasn’t to be allowed admittance under any condition?”

“He did Your Grace but Lord Stevens forced his way past the footman and made such a scene His Grace had no choice but to meet with him.”

The Ducal office

Kenneth Stanton, The Fifth Duke of Kent, glared across his desk at the man, if he could be called that, standing in front of him. The duke’s despise was so great he didn’t even offer the viscount a seat.

“You know you aren’t allowed here. How you gained entry I’ll find out and the person or persons responsible will be sacked. You have not only disgraced your family name but the ton, now what do you want and make it quick as I’ve got work to do,” the duke commanded, forcing himself not to bellow.

“Your Grace I require you relinquish any and all rights to the protection of Lady Jane Stanton to me as she is to be my wife,” Lord Stevens demanded.

“Never, you pompous ass. I, as well as those in the ton, know you intentionally compromised her so you could gain her dowry, thus saving your lands and title,” the duke said, trying to maintain his composure.

“I’ll depart now but you haven’t heard the last of this. Wait until your refusal is posted in The Times. All of the ton, not to mention your backers for the bill you want passed will turn on you,” Stevens smirked.

“You do what you must, while I do what is right,” Kenneth replied, trying to maintain his composure, then nodded to the footman who grabbed Stevens by the arm and unceremoniously escorted the man out.

No sooner was he alone then his wife slipped in through a hidden door.

“Welcome darling, how much did you hear?” Kenneth asked of his wife.

“Enough to know you’ll do anything to protect our daughter, even to the point of ruining your career. That, and you know where she is, don’t you?”

“Yes. I was able to arrange for her to obtain a position to which she’s more than suited for and with a family I’ve got complete faith in.”

“I know, actually I’ve known all along. Don’t forget, Mrs. Bush, our housekeeper and Cook report to me. Unfortunately, it would seem Lord Weston by some stroke of chance has found out who she is,” she replied, sitting on the divan facing his desk.

“I knew I couldn’t trust those women not to say anything,” the duke spoke, as he stood and walked over to join his wife.

“I fear it was from me. He intercepted a letter I wrote asking how she was settling in. Westerly noticed my handwriting and sent me this,” she declared, handing over the missive she’d received.

While Joanna poured tea Kenneth read through the letter.

Taking the cup from his wife he said, “Might I suggest we have Mrs. Bush write Westerly for us. Something tells me we haven’t heard the last from Stevens. If the reports I’ve received as to his late wife are true we’ll have to take extra care to ensure Jane’s safety.”

“I agree with your discussion. We need to tell him the truth so then he’ll know best how to protect our daughter. In the mean time we need to discover everything we can about Stevens first wife and how she met her untimely demise”