Episode 18

After a pleasant and surprisingly uneventful tea Jeffery watched as all five children marched back up to the nursery. He suspected Jane was going to put the littlest ones down for a much needed nap as he noticed yawns from them.

Now it was time to turn his attention, once again, to the estate with the repair to the Johnson roof first and foremost on his mind.

Retiring to his office he penned a note to the carpenter telling him to start the work immediately. That done he rang for Jackson.

“Yes, m’ lord?”

“This needs to be delivered today,” he stated handing over the letter. “Also, I need to speak with Mrs. Linwood.”

“Certainly, m’ lord. With your permission I’ll pass the note off to the stable master so he can dispatch a groom with it. I believe she’s in her office, I’ll stop there on the way to the stable and inform her.”

With a nod he dismissed his butler, rose, walked over to the sidebar and poured a whisky. Returning to his desk he barely sat and started to review the mail when his housekeeper knocked then entered.

“M’ lord, how may I be of assistance?”

From the cock-eyed grin on her face he suspected she already had a suspicion what he was going to ask.

“Yes. Miss Jane just put the children down but, as they aren’t familiar with the nursery I don’t want them left alone and I have something important to discuss her. I need you to keep an eye on them for a few minutes.”

“I’d be happy to m’ lord. I’ll send Miss Jane down immediately,” she uttered, then with a curtsey strolled from the office.

While he waited for his governess to come down he started to sort through the mail. Not surprising there were several invitations to teas, he let out a sigh on not receiving one for a ball. He was about to start answering them with regrets when a gentle knock on the door brought his head up to his visitor.

“You wished to speak with me m’ lord?” she said, then curtsied.

“Yes. Were you able to get everyone down without a problem?”

“Even your daughter and Toby wanted to take a nap. If I’m not mistaken it’s the first time since I’ve been here she asked.”

Jeffrey could feel his eyes widen on hearing the news Abigail actually wanted to rest.

“Maybe today was a little too much for her?” he said.

“Well Toby, who’s used to playing rough, is sound asleep as we speak. I’m guessing it must be all the extra excitement then,” she replied.

He wanted to chuckle at this added interesting bit of news but decided it might not be appropriate so he gave Jane a nod of thanks.

“Now, what do you suggest we do about dinner? They all behaved over tea however, I’m worried they might not at the table.”

“M’ lord, I was wondering the same. I would recommend they eat either in the nursery or the staff dining area, with Cook’s permission of course.”

“You do realize Abigail will insist on eating with them as the lady of the estate? To that I’ve no objection whatsoever as it will give her the opportunity to oversee a table, albeit children” What he failed to mention, as it was so inappropriate for him to do it, he’d be eating with them. After all they were in a sense his guests.

“If you wish m’ lord I’ll speak with Cook,” Jane recommended as they were her responsibility.

“Thank you for the offer but I’ll talk to her. I want to see her reaction and find out what we’ve got that they, especially the youngest will eat.”

“Very good m’ lord. With your permission I’ll return to my charges,” she said.

As she strolled from the room he studied her with his focus more on her hips than anything and he appreciated what he saw.