Episode 3

Episode Three- 9/11/2013

After dismissing his housekeeper Jeffrey returned to answering the letters, with a regret to the baron as other duties prevented him from attending the ball. However, his thoughts kept being interrupted by what Mrs. Linwood had told him as to who Jane truly was. Several times he wanted to find her and demand answers but halted. Something told him she would when the time was right.

Next he started to turn his attention the a report from his estate manager regarding several of the cottages on his land. He was relieved to see they only need repairs mostly to the roofs as the spring had been excessively wet. He was so involved he never heard his butler enter.

“Excuse me m’ lord, I knocked but you didn’t answer.”

“I’m sorry. I was going over the reports on several of the crofters cottages. It seems my ride this afternoon will end up one of business. I’m going to have to visit houses to assess the work which will need doing.”

That was what he told his butler, when in truth he was trying to figure out how to confront Jane.

“Very good, m’ lord. Here’s your luncheon tray and fear not, I supervised it’s preparation as Lady Abigail was putting together her picnic with Jane.”

“Thank you,” he replied, while clearing the books to the side of the desk top.

As he started to work his way through a beef sandwich on thick fresh bread, slathered with horseradish, the sound of laughter caught his attention. It wasn’t so much the tiny squeals of joy from Abigail but the warm mirth emanating from Jane which brought him to his feet.

“No. First I’ve got to find out more about this ruse. If Jane is hiding here it’s from someone. The question-who and why?” he mumbled, returning to his desk.

Taking a sheet of paper from the top right drawer he checked the nib on a quill pen and found it suitable. Dipping the tip in the inkwell he penned a note to his solicitor in London. If anyone could uncover the truth he knew this man would.

Finishing his lunch and letter Jeffrey departed the room, dropping the missive on the hall table for Harold to post. That done he headed for the terrace as laughter still brightened the area.

“Darling,” he started stepping onto the veranda. “I’ve got to visit several cottages which are in need of repair. I expect a good report from Jane upon my return.”

“Of course Daddy. I’m always a good girl with her. I like her. She’s fun,” Abigail replied with her usual bright grin.

At this information he peered over to Jane only to see dip her head as she blushed a lovely pink. Without realizing it he gave both a bright smile. Before he knew what happened Abigail was out of her chair and wrapped her tiny arms around his legs.

“Oh Daddy, you smiled a real smile.”

“I did?”

“I believe you did m’ lord,” Jane softly spoke.

“So you see Abigail, I can be happy. Now give me a kiss as I must be off,” he said leaning over to receive a smooch.

Jeffrey decided to reach the stables by walking around the house.

At the stable he waited while his charge was brought to him.

“Thank you. I shant be long and if Lady Abigail requests let her have a ride on her pony. Remind her though she can only ride in the ring.”

“Very good m’ lord,” his stable master responded.