Episode 22

With Mrs. Linwood following at a respectful distance Jeffrey escorted Lady Jane Stanton to the gazebo. He wasn’t surprised to see a silver tray with finger sandwiches and pastries awaiting their arrival.

“That woman not only thinks of everything but anticipates our needs perfectly,” he declared settling Jane in a wicker chair.

“Yes she does. Tea?” Jane said with a raised brow.

He nodded then took the matching chair beside her.

While she poured him tea into a rose patterned cup he studied her face intrigued how she worried her bottom lip gently with her teeth. Having watched her in the past perform this he suspected she was nervous about the upcoming conversation.

“Now that I’ve made it aware I know who you truly are may I call you Jane?”

“Yes, m’ lord as it will make things simpler for Lady Abigail until I depart.”

“Until you what?” he bellowed.

“You heard correctly. If Lord Stevens is searching me out at estates of friends of my father it’s only a matter of time before he comes here,” she explained.

With tea cup in hand Jeffrey sat back in his chair, his brow furrowed in thought at what she’d said. He knew to a degree she could be right but what would that accomplish, nothing. She’d keep running and hiding until one of two things happened. Either she was found or from frustration she returned home where she’d be forced into a false marriage.

He knew neither was the life this beautiful, intelligent young lady of the ton should have to go through. His only wonderment, how to keep her here and safe?

Sitting up straight he took a sip of tea while over the rim of his cup saw panic mixed with fear in her eyes.

“No, you’ll stay under my protection as you’ve been all along.” With a raised hand and glare he stopped her from speaking. “If this man or any of his henchmen try to come take you away they’ll have to deal with me.”

What he failed to mention Lord Stevens might also have to face his daughter. Having seen her wrath set upon former governess’s he suspected she’d come out the winner.

“M’ lord, is this one of the reasons you’ve accompanied myself and Lady Abigail on the farm visits, protector but also to learn the needs of your workers?” she asked.

He answered with a nod then passed the rose patterned plate of sandwiches to her. “At first yes, then seeing the farms and meeting with the families I grew to love the trips. Even though my daughter has taken up the reins, so to speak, I feel it’s my duty to see things first hand whenever possible.”

“What, then, would you recommend m’ lord to maintain my safety?” she said, wanting to bring them back to the topic at hand.

“First, please call me Jeffrey.”

Her answer was a scowl bringing the corners of his lips to a grin.

“With Jackie assisting you with the children you’ve some protection from intruders but I’m going to have two footmen accompany you when outside.”

“That would be agreeable but if you can have them stay in the background, but close if needed, it would be even better,” she suggested, taking a bite of a blueberry tart.

“I don’t see why not. Also, when you need to visit the village I’ll be accompanying you. It would appear unusual for you to have several footmen and outriders along considering, until now, it’s not been needed. The last thing I, nor you, want is to draw attention to possible dangers,” Jeffrey said, then took up a sandwich and ate it in one bite.

“What about Lady Abigail? What if anything do we tell her?” Jane asked before pouring more tea for both.

“For now I’d recommend we don’t say anything, at least until the Johnson children return home in two days.”

Her nod of approval to the last dilemma was all he needed to suggest they take a leisurely stroll about the garden.