Episode 19

* * * *

“Good morning, m’ lord,” Jane announced from the entrance to the family dining room.

“And to you. After last eve, which was to say the least unique this, had best be a pleasant day. Do come in. Have you broken your fast yet?” standing, he responded.

“No I haven’t and thank you for the offer. The children, except for Rich who rose early and left for the farm, are still sleeping. I was able to prevail upon one of the maids to keep an eye on them.”

Jane could feel Jeffrey study her as she glided into the room and to the side boy. There she took up a china plate then selected a few choice slices of ham and roast along with a coddled egg. Turning to the table she noticed Harold had already set a small silver tea pot at her place, to the right of the viscount. She found this interesting as her usual set was to his left.

Seated, somewhat uncomfortable as she was in Abigail’s chair she started eating then stopped when Harold entered.

“Pardon the interruption m’ lord but the children are starting to stir,” he said after bowing to her.

“Thank you. Please tell the maid I’ll be right up.”

“No. Inform her Miss Jane will be along once she’s finished. Have two trays with tea, toast, jam and eggs sent up and instruct the maid to keep an eye on the children.”

“If I might, m’ lord.” On his nod she continued. “Have another maid go along to make sure there aren’t any problems.”

“As you wish, Miss Jane and I know the perfect one to select, Jackie as she’s grown up with several younger brothers and sisters.”

“Yes good I know her and have confidence,” Jane said with a smile.

Alone now with the viscount she, through hooded lids, peered toward him in the hope she’d not overstepped her bounds.

“She’s an excellent choice. If I was to speak with Mrs. Linwood would you like to have her assist you for the next few days?”

“Yes, her help would be appreciated greatly,” Jane answered, then returned to enjoy her meal.

“Then consider it done. Now, slow down there’s no need to rush back to them. And speaking of the children what do you have planned for them?”

With the addition of the three charges the plans she’d had were now needing to be forgotten.

“Normally, m’ lord today would have included a pianoforte lesson for Lady Abigail and after last night it would be greatly needed.”

From the grimace seen on Jeffrey’s face she knew he agreed with her.

“Since the others will only be here for a few days let’s keep my daughter on her regular routine then. While you have her practice mayhap Jackie could take the other to the garden to play a game.”

“I was thinking the same way. And from the weather as it appears I thought to take them to the pond for a simple lunch of sandwiches and whatever Cook might suggest. This way they won’t be bothering you.”

From the way he relaxed against the back of his chair Jane knew he was in agreement with her recommendation to keep the children occupied.

Finishing her breakfast she stood, bringing him to his feet, curtsied then glided from the dining room. As she headed for the third floor and the children she wondered what if any disasters might have occurred in her absence. Since she’d not heard from Jackie, Harold or Mrs. Linwood she hoped everything was going well.

Strolling down the corridor she wondered why the viscount had seemed so comfortable with her suggestion for a picnic.

Is he thinking of stopping by? That would be interesting as he does seem to enjoy having the other children around, she thought as she stepped into the nursery to see smiling, jam covered faces looking up at her.