The Viscount and The Governess

Each week, on Wednesday, at Sweet Cravings Publishing you can download for FREE the other episodes. Here's the link-

http://store.sweetcravingspublishing.com/index.php?main_page=book_info&cPath=7&products_id=188

Episode One- 8/28/2013

The sound of the office door opening followed by running feet told Lord Jeffrey Weston his daughter had escaped from her governess. Again.

“Morning Daddy,” Abigail called out as she rushed up to him.

He was pleased to see a happy smile brightening her nine year old face.

He waited until his daughter came to a halt beside him before setting the pencil down he’d been using while working on the estate books.

“And a good morning to you princess.” he responded with a weak grin then leaned over giving her a kiss on the top of the head.

“Father I’ve got a question for you?” she replied, reaching up and giving him a hug.

“What’s that?” he asked, glancing toward the office door wondering where her governess was.

“Why don’t you smile anymore? I remember you used to all the time but now you never do.”

Jeffery cocked his head to the side studying her face. What he found disturbed him, unhappiness had replaced her smile of a moment ago.

How could he tell her he missed his wife, her mother so greatly that his heart ached? Would Abigail understand no other woman could replace her?

Hearing a soft knock on the door frame told him it could only come from her governess. Turning he noticed the young woman had the look of panic in her eyes. As she stepped into the room his attention was caught by the way the sun glinted off her brunette hair.

Why hadn’t he noticed it before?

“No Jane, it’s quite all right. I was about to take a stroll in the garden so her interruption came at an opportune time. Would you care to join us?” he spoke rising from his oak chair and taking his daughter by the hand.

“Thank you for the kind offer m’ lord. It would be my pleasure under the condition Lady Abigail uses the time to select flowers for the family dining table,” Jane replied turning her attention to her charge.

Jeffery glanced over to his daughter. “Well, what do you think little one?”

“I know the ones I’d like to collect and the perfect vase for them,” she said, jumping up and down in excitement.

“Very good, shall we get our bonnets along with a basket to put them in,” Jane spoke, extending her hand to Abigail.

Together, with the Viscount following they stepped from the study only to be halted by Harold, Jeffery’s butler.

“M’ lord, the morning post,” he announced extending his hand with several letter set perfectly centered on a silver tray.

“Thank you. Go ahead and place them on my desk. I’m escorting the ladies for a stroll around the garden.”

“Very good m’ lord. There’s also one for Jane.”

Jeffrey lifted the stack and quickly scanned through them, halting on seeing the one for his daughter’s governess. Almost immediately he recognized the handwriting as belonging to the Duchess of Kent. Schooling his features he handed it over with a slight bow of politeness.

He watched her slip it into the seam pocket of her day dress without peeking at it.

“Jane, we can wait, I’m sure Abigail wouldn’t mind, if you wish to read it now?”

“No not at all,” his daughter piped up.

“Thank you but no. It’s from a friend and can wait until we return from our walk,” Jane replied casting her eye down hoping to hide the truth from them.

“If you’re sure then shall we be off. I think Abigail can forego a bonnet for this trip,” Jeffery said passing Jane her bonnet.

“Agreed as long as she doesn’t make a habit of it. I’ll step into the kitchen and collect a basket and meet you both on the terrace,” she replied.