Episode 12

With her breakfast finished Abigail folded her napkin and set it beside her empty plate then turned to her father.

“Do you know when we’ll be leaving as I should change from my morning gown into something more suitable?”

“I would think in about an hour. Why?”

She next looked across the table to Jane. “Would you mind if I accompanied you while you check what we’re delivering today? This may be my first time but I might see something through my eyes you missed, in particular for the children,” she requested.

“M’ lord, I believe Lady Abigail does have an excellent idea. If memory serves we will be taking a few items to sick children,” Jane said.

Abigail turned to her father wondering what his reaction would be. She could feel her mouth drop open when he nodded and gave her a smile.

“Everything should already be collected and in the staff dining room,” Jane pointed out.

“Good, then let’s see what we have. Is the list of farms there also Jane? I’d like to see where we’re going and in what order,” Jeffrey asked.

“Everything should be there, Father,” Abigail blurted out.

“Might I enquire exactly how you know this Lady Abigail?” Jane said.

“Sometimes I’d sneak down the servant stairs and tiptoe in to see what was being taken to our tenants. Why do you think I suggested having me look everything over? Several times I noticed the simplest things missing for the children,” she announced proudly.

Abigail kept a confident expression on her face, even crossing her arms across her chest as both her father and governess stared at her. Once satisfied she’d made her point she climbed down from the chair and started for the kitchen door, only stopping to see if she was being followed.

Frustrated neither of the adults had moved from the table she turned back, settled her hands on her hips, like she’d seen adults do and glare at them.

“Well, are you coming or not? We’ve got families depending on us and what we are bringing them today,” she announced in the most grown-up nine year old voice she could muster.

“I do believe we’ve been given our marching orders,” Jeffrey said standing then helping Jane up from her chair.

With Abigail leading they made their way to the staff dining room. On entering she noticed her father’s first interest was the sheet letting them know what was to be delivered to each family. She, with Jane beside her, checked each of the parcels individually packaged so nothing would misplaced or forgotten.

Curious that there were, in a few of the bundles, clothing for children Abigail started to unwrap them.

“Can I ask what you’re looking for?” Jane asked.

“Toys. Father, in several of these,” she pointed to a few sacks, “Have clothes for small children but why isn’t there anything for them to play with?”

“What would you have me do princess?”

“Wait here,” Abigail announced, then heading for the servant stairs and racing as fast as her little legs could carry her up three floors and down the corridor to the nursery.

She giggled as the mixture of the pounding of heavily booted feet mixed those of delicate, ladylike footsteps followed her into the well light and colorfully painted room.

Standing in the middle of the floor she slowly turned, her brow scrunched in thought.

“What are you looking for, maybe I can help?” her father asked.

“Dolls daddy. I want to take a few with us so the girls can pick the one they want to play with. And I want a few things for the boys,” she stopped and raced over to a bookshelf.

Taking down a wooden box she opened it and gave her father and Jane a toothy grin. “Perfect. They’ll love playing with these toy soldiers.”

“But, but those used to be mine?” Jeffrey sputtered out.

“Oh father, you’re much too old for them now and just think of the fun the boys will have playing with them,” Abigail announced settling her tiny hands on her hips and scowling at him.