Chapter Thirty-Two

Calix's lungs burned. His chest was heaving as he made it to the Tehrax portal in time and unharmed. He bent down and put his hands on his knees for just a moment. The portal had only minutes before it closed. Calix took one last look at his home for the last eighteen years. Something red was poking out behind a pine tree, a miradennon. He picked it and put it up to his nose, smelling the sweet fragrance and then put the flower in his pocket. With great sadness, he stepped into the large tree, and was gone.

Earth.

He had chosen the dimension of time that Corinne had been in. He wanted to feel as close to her as possible. Earth was simple. It definitely wasn't as pretty as Aladarien,. He had read about it and studied it, but to actually see it in person was quite different than he imagined. The colors were dull, the ground smelled like the elements, the sky was only one color, the plants were just there with no souls- very dreary and he was quite disappointed to live here.

Calix still had his Elven capabilities, but did not appear to be an Elf. He reached up and felt his ears. They were no longer pointy. He wasn't as tall. When he touched a tree, it didn't move. How was he going to make it here?

As he was walking along the great redwood trees, a brown hawk flew by overhead. Taking him by complete surprise, Gavin was standing by his side.

"Why in the world would you be here?" Calix asked.

Gavin explained, "I had to bring Bria home. She will have no memories of our world. Maybe you could watch out for her though? People will wonder what happened to her face and where she's been the last few months. I thought that I would pay you a visit for Corinne's sake."

"Why?" Calix questioned.

Gavin's muscles tensed. "Calix, she could go to prison for a long time for having a relationship with you. Her trial is next week."

Calix looked up angrily, "What? What trial?"

"Lettie assumed the worst and told your family right after she saw you kissing, and now there is to be a trial in front of the tribunal. Corinne could be put in prison for the rest of her life, or if the high court is really upset, she could be killed."

The color in Calix's face disappeared, and he was as white as a ghost. "You have to do something Gavin, anything."

Gavin asked "Do you love each other?"

Calix tilted his head down and admitted, "Yes, I love her more than anything."

Gavin went on, "Does she love you?"

Calix looked up at him, "Yes."

Gavin turned away and whispered, "She is in danger Calix."

"If anything happens to her," Calix shook his head upset.

"Why did you have to fall in love with her? Why?" Gavin sighed.

"I didn't mean to. Obviously it's not allowed, it just happened. I've got to figure out a way to be together again. Gavin help me."

"I'm not helping you be with Corinne. You don't deserve her."

"I know I don't, but I love her and would do anything for her."

Gavin snapped, "Well if you truly love her, then you will leave her alone. You will stay on Earth and let her reign peacefully. You will not break the laws of Aladarien for your own selfish purposes." Gavin didn't know whether he was speaking more for Calix or himself at that moment.

Calix replied, "That's all I want for her, you know, to be happy. After being taken away from her family for so long, she deserves happiness."

Gavin agreed, "She does." They continued walking in silence.

Gavin decided to stay and instruct Calix on how to live with humans. The list was long and intense. He needed to know about cars, computers, cell phones, banks, ATM machines, televisions, schools, restaurants, and of course the government and laws. Calix had already studied about these things in Aladarien but to actually experience them was a whole different story. Gavin and Calix had lengthy discussions every day. Gavin also gave Calix plenty of money he had saved when he was on Earth and showed him how to use it.

One of the first things Gavin helped Calix do was find an apartment. Calix was eighteen, and to humans, that meant he would have to complete one more year of schooling.

Calix tried to keep his mind off of Corinne, but every night as he lay in his bed, he thought of her before he fell asleep.

The next morning Calix heard a knock on his door. He opened it slowly and suddenly Gavin was pushing his way inside.

"Alright, are you going to be okay here? I need to get home." Gavin asked.

"Yes, Siruqoy. I think I can take care of myself just fine. Thanks though, you know, for helping me out."

"It wasn't for you, it was for her. Corinne would want me to help you," Gavin said. After a few moments of silence, Gavin punched him in the shoulder and leapt out of the window into the air, transforming into a hawk and yelled, "Well... don't do anything stupid."

Calix rolled his eyes and shut the window.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A/N:

So Gavin helped Calix out- crazy right? That was pretty noble of him don't you think? I don't know if I could've done the same thing, but then again, Gavin is the most kind, genuine guy around. Do you guys know anyone like Gavin? The kind of guy who always does the right thing no matter what.

Thank you, thank you for reading! It makes me so happy to hear your comments. I also love constructive criticism. Well, I wouldn't say love, I guess I should say appreciate constructive criticism because it really does help the story improve. If you have any for me, don't be afraid to share. It just makes us better writers. Don't forget to vote, vote, vote!!