Chapter Twenty-Five

Corinne and Gavin decided it would be best not to tell the Queen that it was because of Maeve that Mason had escaped. Gavin gave Maeve a good lecture, and Corinne spoke with her later one-on-one. They told the Queen that Mason mysteriously escaped and the Siri guards were trying to figure it out and track him down. Corinne still couldn't believe that Maeve had been visiting the enemy for days and that Gavin and Mason were brothers.

Corinne's parents wanted to host a grand ball in Corinne's honor for her sixteenth birthday, even though it had already come and gone. Corinne insisted that the Elves be invited as an attempt to mend the gaps between the two races.

"Reina, you do realize that the Elves want you dead? How could we possibly keep you safe? That is too large of a request."

Corinne didn't want to argue with her mother, but she knew the goodness in Calix and was sure that other Elves had it too. "I know you're worried about me, and I love you for that, but this is really important to me. Couldn't you use some magic or something to keep everyone safe?" Corinne pleaded.

The Queen wanted her daughter's birthday to be special but this was too much, even for Corinne to ask. They had an Elven prince in custody that had actually saved Corinne's life multiple times; this might just be the perfect opportunity.

"I have another alternative," the Queen said, "I think the Terranovas would want to have their son returned. I can send an ambassador to see if they would be willing to escort him home after the ball. We have allowed him to live and have taken very good care of him. I will allow one dance with him. As for the rest of the Elves, I have to say no. They will never be welcome here Corinne. It is a grand idea to want to mend fences and bring the races together but it is not going to happen and certainly isn't very realistic."

Corinne was deeply disappointed. The Queen could sense this but knew it could spark a fight to invite the Elves, if not all out war.

The Queen drafted a letter and sent Ambassador Arevalo to the Elven kingdom with strict orders to try and persuade the Elves to escort Calix home.

The Terranova family was shocked when Ambassador Arevalo delivered the letter, and Queen Ekaterina was furious.

Aravelo said cooly, "Prince Calix has been captured and taken to the Siri palace. He has been taken care of I assure you. Queen Blakely promises his release if you allow him to attend Corinne's sixteenth ball. Her daughter has befriended him."

Queen Ekaterina's coloring faded from her face. "They have my son? I knew there was a battle but I didn't know Calix was involved. Is that why we haven't heard from him?" Arevalo nodded, allowing the Queen to quietly contemplate her options. They had her son, her only son!

"Reina? You want us to allow him to go to Reina's ball? Why would they be so willing to release him? This smells like a trap," the Queen sneered.

Arevalo replied, "Queen Blakely gives you her word that Prince Calix will be released and that no harm will fall upon anyone that attends the ball.

Queen Ekaterina was at a loss. If the Queen gave her word, she would be bound. Further, if Queen Blakely wasn't sincere, she would have killed Calix days ago. She had no choice but to allow it.

"Arevalo," the Queen said, "Please inform Queen Blakely that we accept her proposal," and she immediately walked out of the room without saying another word.

**********

Corinne wanted to find the perfect dress

A royal ball, Ha!

She had to get used to servants attending to her constantly. It was actually quite annoying. She was perfectly capable of dressing herself and getting herself something to eat.