Chapter Four

Leaving the Harrisons was the hardest thing she had ever done in her life. She only had time to leave them a note, because Gavin said they needed to leave immediately.

I am the worst.

How could she put into words what was happening? She couldn't. She just told them how sorry she was, and that she would love them the rest of her life. That was it. She left the letter on their bed, and prayed that they would understand.

"Well, I'm definitely coming with you Corinne." Bria put her arm around her.

"No you're not." Gavin shook his head, "Think again." He gripped Corinne's arm. "Come on Corinne, We've got to go."

Bria pulled Corinne back, "There's no way I'm not coming Gavin."

Corinne turned her head towards Gavin, "Please Gavin? I want her to come. She's my best friend too."

He stared down at her in utter astonishment.

"I am not about to put her life in danger too Corinne. I can't believe you would even consider it."

Bria marched over to Gavin. "Don't you think that's up to me to worry about?" She put one hand on her hip, "Listen Gavin, she's not going anywhere unless I come too."

"No!" Gavin snapped.

"Yes!" She argued.

Bria was so stubborn that arguing with her was costing him precious time.

"Uughhh!" He paced the room and shook his head.

Corinne whispered, "Please Gavin?"

He stared down at Corinne for a long moment. "Fine! You know how I feel about it, but if that's what you really want, then fine. She can make her own decisions but it won't be on my head."

Gavin used Mr. Harrison's old, beat-up truck and set out on Highway 101 to the Muir Woods National Monument.

Corinne felt sort of guilty for taking her dad's truck, but it was their only means of transportation and it had been sitting in their garage for ages. During the drive, Corinne asked Gavin, "How could I be a princess? Do I look like a princess? Of course not. I am a tall, gangly teenager with sand-colored hair, zits, one pointy ear and a small, a small..."

"A small what?" Gavin asked.

"A small chest okay. Is that what you wanted to hear? I barely fit into a 34A. How am I going to be Queen. I'm too young and..."

"Are you kidding me right now? This is what you are worrying about? Let me tell you that it won't matter one bit about any of those frivolous things, Corinne. Worry about the important things, like how you are going to stay alive for example."

"Are you really only a 34A? Wow," Bria said, as she raised her eyebrows.

Ignoring Bria's comment, Corinne asked Gavin, "So, when were you planning on telling me about all this? Was it always the plan that I find out the day before I turn sixteen, or was that your decision?"

"Slow down, Corinne," Gavin was getting a headache from all of her questions. "It was always the plan to tell you close to your birthday, I just didn't know exactly when and how I was going to do it. I never would have thought that you would come close to death and I would have to save your life. That definitely was not part of the plan."

"How come you were allowed to come to Earth? Who decides who comes and who stays?" Gavin sat on that question while Corinne and Bria waited in anticipation.

"The Queen decides in Aladarien. There are only two ways out. People aren't free to jump from one world to the next. The Queen either banishes you or gives you permission. Otherwise, the humans would find out." Gavin continued, "The Queen has ultimate power over the use of portals. She is given a scepter that is passed down from generations. That is why it is such a big deal to become the true Queen. It is a huge responsibility to decide who comes and who stays; it becomes very burdensome."