Chapter Twenty-Three

Two more days passed and Corinne started to get used to living in a castle. Bria was still upset with Gavin and hadn't spoken to him. She was let out of the medical room and was with Kael on a walk, so Corinne explored some areas of the castle she had not yet visited. She walked down a large corridor and opened an enormous wooden door. She found the grand library. Corinne had never seen so many books in her entire life. Some of them were ancient. She was overwhelmed with the possibilities. There was so much more she needed to learn about her culture. She didn't know where to begin. Corinne walked along the aisles and pulled out an old leather book titled History of Siri Magic, and found a comfy chair next to the fireplace. She was so fascinated that she was able to use magic. She learned that every Siri had a distinct magical ability. Her own father had the ability to freeze things. Her mother could place charms on people so they would temporarily do anything she asked of them. Kael could petrify any living thing. Sibyl had, had the power to change the appearance of anything. Corinne had the ability to heal with her tears and manipulate the weather, though she hadn't figured it out how to control that power yet.

What could Maeve do?

As her mind was wandering, she heard a door open at the back of the library. The library felt like she was in an enormous maze with rows and rows of books. Silently, she walked towards the sound. She heard someone moving around.

What was he doing here?

Her parents had, had him moved to the east wing of the castle and he had to be escorted by guards everywhere he went. She studied him, as he sat there deeply engulfed in a book with two guards watching his every move. Calix was back to his normal self again, as handsome as ever, and for the first time, Corinne really took notice of him.

He had on a light blue shirt that was made out of the thinnest material, she could practically see right through it to his perfectly sculpted body. His blond hair was somewhat long and messy and it made Corinne unnerved.

I like him!

He looked up. Like a thief caught red handed, she froze as the color rose to her cheeks. She turned around to hide her blushing, and walked swiftly in the opposite direction.

"What? No hello? Corinne what are you doing?"

She slowly turned around. "I thought I was alone in the library, that's all. I just wanted to figure out what was making all of that noise. I should've known it would be you. How come you left the east wing?" Corinne asked.

Calix shrugged,"Because, I was bored. I don't think I'm anyone's favorite person right now. The Siri hate me. The Queen did say I could use the library so I convinced these two guards to let me out of my room and at least find a book to help pass the time. So, what are you doing here?"

Before responding she excused the guards with a wave of her hand. They hesitated and then left the room, leaving the door open. They were standing just outside the door.

"I just really love to read and was discovering new areas of the castle. I heard there was an amazing library, so here I am." She felt nervous. She didn't know what to say to him.

"Well, I'm just going to go back over by the fire to read. Sorry to interrupt you."

He smiled, "Do you mind if I join you?" he asked, as he stood up.

"No. I guess not," she said. They both sat down on the chairs by the warm, crackling fire while they read their books. She caught him staring at her a couple of different times, but she found herself glancing at the Elf that saved her life.

Calix asked Corinne what she was reading, and she said, "History of Siri Magic." He pondered that title and asked her if she liked it.