Chapter Twelve

Corinne didn't want to wake up from her dreams to the reality of her nightmare. She laid on the ground crying for over an hour. She finally decided that she had to get up. She was strong and she would find her family, Bria, and Gavin no matter what it took. She wiped her tear streaked face, and looked over at Calix who was picking up his belongings. She knew he heard her sobbing, and was grateful that he had kept his silence. She didn't know what to say to him. What were they going to talk about? Luckily, he broke the awkward silence, and told her they had about another week of traveling, and then they should arrive in a small Siri village called Ashington, just north in the Wooded Glen.

You've got to be kidding. Another week?

He pried, "So do you have family in Ashington or what city does your brother live in anyways?"

Oh no! Where is Bria when I need her?

Did he honestly think she was going to talk to him. She turned her head and looked away.

After sitting in silence for quite a while, Calix spoke up. "You can't ignore me forever and I am trying to help you."

"You mean you let my friend die and then kidnapped me against my will. Well I guess if that is your idea of helping..."

He raised his eyebrow, "I didn't kidnap you. I saved you from yourself and now I am trying to get you back to your kind." Calix looked right into her eyes, "Corinne, your brother?"

"Fine- I have a brother that I was going to visit. He will be sick with worry for me."

"What is his name? I might know him?"

She tried to react as quickly as possible, and turned around.

"Why should I tell you? You don't need to know all my relatives. Just don't worry about it."

He rolled his eyes, "I was just making conversation."

"Well don't," she said, and then completely ignored him.

In the silence, Corinne worked on her magic. She concentrated really hard. Maybe it was her imagination, but the wind seemed to respond. She actually made a breeze pick up and get a lot stronger. She hoped the wind would distract him and stop his attempts at making conversation.

He was so frustrating. She caught him stealing glances at her and she didn't know what to make of it. She knew he couldn't stand her, just as much as she couldn't stand him. He probably wondered what he was going to do with her for another week. She wondered that very same thing herself.

Corinne sat down on a rock. Her emotions were bubbling to the surface. Bria was gone, Gavin was gone and it was all her fault. They were hurt or maybe even dead. Corinne's heart hurt. Tears streamed down her face and it started to rain lightly. She lay down on the ground and refused to even look in Calix's direction. She hid her face in her arms and wept.

Calix worried about her. She hadn't moved. He felt for her. He knew what she was feeling at this moment and it wasn't a feeling he ever wanted to feel again. He gave her some distance and let her mourn.

After a couple of hours, Corinne grabbed the compact mirror she brought in her backpack and opened it up. She was covered in mud and smelled a little. It had been weeks since she showered. Self-conscious, she put the mirror back and asked, "Er- I need a moment to bathe and stuff. Could you tell me where I could, you know, go and take care of that?" she asked shyly.

Calix smiled and said with a hint of sarcasm, "Oh, now you are speaking to me. Well, the Crystal River is right down the path about five minutes away. Don't be too long or I might just have to come check what is going on!"