Chapter Twenty-Two

The next day, Corinne was outside in the gardens. A pure white butterfly flitted by and it reminded her of Talia. Corinne found the fairies very interesting. She called over to one of her servants.

"Um, is there any way that I could visit with a fairy named Talia?"

The servant girl said, "I will see what I can do Princess."

Within the hour her request was honored. She was in her room and walked out to the balcony. There was a small pond in front of the castle grounds. A familiar form flitted towards her. The small little blue pixie made her way up to her window. Corinne held out her hand and beckoned for Talia to come. Talia flew into Corinne's room and landed on a pillow that lay on Corinne's grand bed. Corinne smiled and the little fairy returned the kind gesture.

Corinne asked her questions, but Talia didn't respond.

"Wait, can you talk? I haven't heard your voice yet."

The fairy gently shook her head yes.

"Well, is there a way I will be able to understand you?"

The fairy gently shook her head no.

"Oh! Well, that makes things a little more difficult." Corinne scratched her head for a moment. "I called you here because I wanted to get to know you better. I wanted to know more about your kind, and I wanted to thank you personally for all you have done for me and my family." Talia danced cheerfully around her.

Corinne heard a gentle knock on the door. Gavin spoke softly, "Do you mind if I join you?"

Gavin sat down on her lavish chair in the human shape Corinne was so accustomed too and said, "What are you two up to?"

Corinne smiled, "I just wanted to get to know Talia better. I actually wanted to know more about fairies in general, but Talia has just let me know that I can't understand her language."

Gavin contemplated. "Well, maybe I could be of help. What do you want to know?" Talia beamed and flitted about the two of them excitedly.

Corinne put her forefinger to her chin and tapped. "Hmmm. Well for one, where do they live?"

Gavin responded, "They are drawn to water, and most of her kind live at Brielle Falls underneath the waterfalls."

"Really?" she questioned. "How come they can't speak with us, but they understand us?"

"They understand most species but just don't speak all of their languages. They do, however, speak their own separate language. I happen to understand, because I am a Siruqoy," replied Gavin.

Corinne crisscrossed her legs and straightened up, and asked, "Why did she choose to come to Earth and watch over me? Why me?"

Gavin glanced at Talia who was resting peaceably on his shoulder. They spoke to each other in whispered sounds, and then he replied, "Well, she said that your parents needed extra eyes for all of the times I couldn't be at the Harrisons, or with you on Earth. I was the one that happened to mention her name and your parents chose her. I owed her a favor." He winked at Talia. "She watched over you, because they asked her to, and fairies would do anything for Siri. They adore your kind and are very loyal. The Siri saved their species."

Corinne sat so intently on the edge of her bed, that one of her legs slipped a little, and she almost fell over. Gavin laughed as she recomposed herself.

"The fairies aren't always treated the best," Gavin continued.

"Some, but not all Elves, harm them. They kill them for sport, as if they were some kind of trophy. They have been punished many times, for helping the Siri. Some Elves view them as conspiring with the enemy, and others just simply don't care what happens to them. The Elves can be pretty self-absorbed, as you might have noticed with Calix."