Chapter Twenty-Seven

Lettie smirked as Bria furiously walked away. Lettie knew the secret she had just told would cause serious havoc in Aladarien. She smiled at the thought of all the efforts to unite the races being ruined. She couldn't stand Calix dancing with her. How in the world could he even stand to be in the same room with Reina, let alone touch her? This was not the Calix she had known and grown up with. What about the deaths of both of his brothers? Was he forgetting that Reina was responsible? She didn't feel an ounce of remorse for what she did. She didn't want Calix to be embarrassed this way, in front of all of the condescending Siri. He didn't deserve that. He was her best friend, but something had to be done.

Lettie had caused all of the drama. Reina, Calix and Gavin were discussing the secret she had let out. Lettie wanted to hear what they were saying and moved closer to the scene. Lettie overheard the last part of their conversation. It was going wrong, very wrong; a devastating blow. She had never expected banishment. If he was banished to Earth, then she would never be able to see him again. This was her fault. She loved him, and he didn't even know it. He can't leave!

Pure hatred spread through her like poison. She would hate Reina the rest of her life for doing this, but knew she could never forgive herself for acting so irrationally, without thinking her plan through. Now she could never be with Calix. Guiltily, she ran over to him as he was leaving.

"You can't go, Calix. Don't listen to them. You can hide. The Elven kingdom will protect you. Please, don't do this," she begged.

He kept walking; his mind already made up, he replied, "Lettie, I'm not going to let anyone else get hurt because of me. This is what she wants. She saved my life, Lettie. I did want to kill her initially, but then I got to know Corinne, and I sort of changed. I didn't want her to die." He paused briefly. "She has every right to be mad at me right now. It doesn't matter if I wanted to stay anyway. We all know that banishment is final and there is nothing I can do about it, unless I change the queen's mind," he said. Then a glimmer of hope filled him as they were walking outside of the castle grounds. He hurried and grabbed a large leaf from a nearby tree. He also grabbed a small stick and said, "Basha." The stick instantly oozed out a black substance and Calix used the stick as a pen. As he was writing, he asked Lettie if she could do him a favor.

"Lettie, you are my best friend. I trust you with my life. Please, for our friendship's sake, will you take this letter to her for me?" Calix said, as he handed her the leaf.

What did he mean to HER? Princess Reina. No, that was out of the question.

"No Calix. She has caused us too much pain, anything but that Calix, and I would."

Calix begged her. "Please Lettie. She needs to read this note. It is very important, and I have no one else that can do this for me. I will owe you for the rest of my life. Please?"

She looked at his anguished face and couldn't resist him.

"Okay," she said, "I'll do it." She loathed herself.

"Thank you! Thank you, Lettie." He gave her a big hug and squeezed her so tight she couldn't breathe.

"Okay, okay. Let me go." She said, loving every moment spent in his arms. She was about to read the scribbled note, but out of respect for Calix, changed her mind and put it in her pocket.

She glanced back over her shoulder, and he was smiling at her mouthing out the words, "Thank you, Thank you, Thank," and his voice drifted off into the midnight air. Tears streamed down her face, as she quickly ran back to the castle.

Lettie saw Corinne standing by her Siruqoy friend, the Gavin hawk. Lettie slowly approached them apprehensively.

"Reina," she muttered.