Chapter Twenty-Nine

Gavin was taken aback. He stood there trying to figure out his feelings. Gavin knew at that moment that he had been wrong- very, very wrong. Corinne looked at him and let go of Calix. She tried to talk to him, but Gavin shook his head in astonishment and without saying a word, walked back out of the cave and flew straight up into the sky.

How could she secretly meet him? She just banished Calix to Earth. Why would she do this? He didn't understand women and certainly not Corinne. He thought he knew her so well. How did he not see this coming? For the first time in Gavin's life, he was mad at Corinne, truly mad. He landed on the ground in human form and punched a tree trunk. He kept punching and punching until his hand bled. His heart hurt. She had broken it into a million pieces. He kept replaying her kissing Calix in his mind. It made him feel physically ill.

She's so reckless. She never does what she's supposed to do.

He walked and walked until he was under the waterfalls of the Qoy lake. There stood Groven; the largest and wisest tree in Aladarien. He sat down at the foot of the tree. Gavin put his head in between his hands and the tree felt his pain. It shook and large leaves began to fall to the ground.

Gavin didn't know when it started to happen but his brotherly-like feelings quickly changed to true feelings of love while they were in Aladarien. It started slowly and the next thing he knew, he found himself in the middle of it; getting jealous when she would spend time with Calix, feeling excited when she entered a room, being amused by every single thing she did. She was perfect. Infatuation had set in and he always wanted to be near her and touch her. He knew his feelings were forbidden in Aladarien, so he never acted on it. He pushed his feelings aside and a lot of good that did. Now she would never know his true feelings about her. Why did he have to see her in Calix's arms?

Why Calix?

Gavin needed to confide in someone, anyone. He turned to face Groven and placed his hand on the tree. The largest tree in the world listened while Gavin explained everything. Corinne had been his whole life for the last eight years. He always put duty first but he felt somehow that it wasn't right. He should be able to tell her how he felt without repercussions. The rules in his world were strict and he had always followed them. He felt an inner turmoil. He wanted to do what was right but he also wanted to be with Corinne and love her freely. He told Groven of what he witnessed in the cave and how Corinne and Calix could be in serious trouble if Lettie told anyone about what she saw. They could be put on trial for breaking the law. The people wouldn't be too kind towards an interracial couple.

Corinne had made a mess of everything. The girl drove him crazy. She couldn't just do what she was told. She always had to do things her own way and she never listened to him. She was so frustrating.

Gavin dropped his hand and lay down on the soft ground and wallowed in self pity. He felt numb. He was too upset to return to Brimsdelle and apparently Corinne didn't need his "protection" from Calix.

Phhhttt. Calix. What does she even see in that Elf?

Gavin tried to regain his composure. He stood up and brushed the leaves off of his clothes. He noticed drawings on the leaves of the tree. It was writing. Groven was speaking to him through his leaves. The writings were telling him a story. Gavin examined the leaves carefully. Groven told Gavin a very important event that had happened in history. Gavin sat wondering how no one knew the truth. He needed to let this story be told for Corinne, for Aladarien, and for himself. He would take the leaves home with him and figure out how to share his new found knowledge.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A/N:

When I wrote this chapter, I tried to pull from experiences I have had and really write what Gavin would be feeling. He is heartbroken. If any of you have been there- give Gavin a shout out, poor guy. Let me know your thoughts and remember to vote, vote vote!!