Chapter Thirty-One

Queen Adalyn received a notice summoning Corinne before a grand jury. She was curious to know what this was all about.

Is this true? Had Reina really fallen in love with Calix?

If so, then Reina had broken one of their most sacred laws. There would be consequences. The Queen didn't believe one word of it. Her daughter had been the one to suggest banishment of the poor boy in the first place. Why would she have done that if she loved him? Reina had never shown any affection to him in their home, at least none that she knew of.

The Queen walked up the winding staircase that led to Reina's bedroom and softly knocked on the door. She knocked again, with no answer so she opened the door. Reina was gone. Queen Adalyn called the guards and asked them where her daughter was? No one had seen her. She ordered that Gavin be summoned at once, but like Reina, he was nowhere to be found. She sent the guards to retrieve her daughter. The Queen made up her mind to wait for Reina in her room. Even if Reina was the future queen, she still had curfews and sneaking out was not allowed.

After a couple of hours, Corinne tried sneaking back into her room, she saw someone out of the corner of her eye sitting on her sofa. She panicked until she recognized her mother. Corinne let out a sigh of relief.

"Mother, what are you doing? You scared me half to death."

"I might ask you that very same question."

"Uh, I can explain."

Her mother nodded, "Ummhmm, start from the beginning."

Embarrassed, Corinne told her mother everything. She began with how she couldn't stand Calix from the moment she met him. How she didn't trust him, and then how they spent time together in the woods. He saved her life four different times, five if she included the spider. She explained how she felt when she was with him. She found out at the ball that he was the one sent to kill her and she recklessly banished him. After the ball, she realized that she had misjudged him and that he would never hurt her. She told her about why he was the one who was going to be her executioner, and how it was all a big miscommunication.

Corinne continued to tell the Queen about what they talked about in the cave, and how Lettie and Gavin caught them kissing.

"Mother, I love him and now he has to leave forever. I don't know what to do." Her mother just sat by her side and put her arms around her.

"Sometimes we can't help who we fall in love with Corinne. It just happens. I am sorry you two will be separated, but at the same time, it is what's best. In our world, different races aren't allowed to be together. That is how it has always been and how it will stay. The high judges know about this, Reina. Calix's friend Lettie must have already told the Terranovas. I received a summons from the court and you are to go on trial for breaking the law."

Corinne looked at her mother, "What? Are you serious? What does that even mean?"

"That means that if you are found guilty, you could be put in prison or worse," her mother said solemnly.

Corinne raised her eyebrows, "Worse? Like how much worse, death?" Her mother hushed her, and said that death was highly unlikely, but they needed some sort of miracle. The laws of the land were very strict.

When her mother left that night, Corinne lay in her bed scared and disappointed.

I never even got to say goodbye.

Her mind raced. What about the trial? She wanted to talk to Calix.

I love him and I am never going to see him again. What did I do?

She tossed and turned until she fell asleep.

*****

In Brimsdelle, Bria spent a lot of her spare time with Kael. She totally liked him. She loved getting to know him and his parents. They were so kind to her. She was, however, feeling a little home-sick.

"I miss my family. I really like it here, don't get me wrong, but I had a life back home on Earth. On top of all of that, I hardly ever see Corinne and I'm getting a little home-sick." Kael hugged her, and told her what an amazing person she was for helping his sister make it home.

"Bria, we owe you so much. We will get you back home whenever you like."

She said, "I was just getting to know you and have had such a great time. This has been an adventure I will never forget."

Kael said, "You won't remember your time in our world, but I will never forget you." He hugged her, and she knew it was time to go home.

*****

The next morning, Corinne could barely eat her breakfast. As she was playing with her food, Bria came in with her backpack on. Corinne already knew what was coming.

Bria asked her, "Corinne, will you come to my room for a minute?"

She put down her fork and nodded her head. "Yeah sure, Bria."

They walked up to where Bria had been staying for the last few weeks and sat down on the big, fluffy mattress.

"I have to go home. I miss my parents, and it's time. You are safe here and will be the next queen before you know it."

Corinne said, "How can I ever thank you for helping me make it home safe? You are my best friend, and I will never forget you. You have always been there for me." She hugged her and sighed. There was no way she was going to tell Bria about the trial. Bria would never leave and Corinne knew she needed to get back to Earth safely. There was one thing she wanted to bring up.

"Bria, I have to tell you something before you go. I love Calix. I mean, I don't know."

"Calix? I thought you couldn't stand him."

Corinne nodded. "I know, but my feelings for him completely changed. I find myself constantly thinking of him. Everything is all messed up, and it's my fault."

Just then there was a knock at the door, and Kael was standing there. "Are you ready to go, Bria? We need to leave quickly."

The two girls stood up. Bria hugged Corinne as tight as she could, and whispered in her ear, "Things will work out how they should. That is how destiny works. I will miss you more than anything. I love you Corinne." Bria grabbed Kael's outstretched hand and she was gone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A/N:

Sad to have Bria leave but it's time she goes home after everything she did for Corinne. Corinne's about to face trial all alone. So scary for a teenager who doesn't understand the laws.

Don't forget to vote, vote, vote. Thanks again guys. Love to you all.