Chapter Twelve- Justice

Scott's POV

The next week passed by without incident. Everything was fine until Mr. Lahey's court date came up, it was scheduled the week later this one. He was being charged with child abuse and attempted murder. Isaac had to testify and was scarred to death about it. He was stressed and would barely eat anything. He was always zoning out and could never focus on one thing at a time.

That week his nightmares came back even stronger. I was always in his room around midnight, every night, waking him up and telling him that it was just a bad dream. I would always spend the rest of the night in his room so by Wednesday, I started to just sleep in there all together. He started to sleep better after that, only mumbling in his sleep, no nightmares or anything.

I had talked to my mom about it and she had said that she thought he probably felt more secure with someone around. She was being awesome about the whole thing, understanding through it all, but I had a feeling that it would be short lived and that she was only doing it because he was hurt.

It was now Friday and the trial date was set for Saturday. Isaac was off the chart nervous, and wouldn't calm down. He would pace the room but soon got tired of that because it hurt his legs. Then he would lay in his bed and just not say anything and stare at the wall. I sat next to him and tried to talk to him but I just couldn't get to him.

"Isaac", I whispered softly, "look at me Isaac. It's time to eat lunch. I know you're hungry because you haven't eaten anything yet today, so I need you to listen to me." Still I got no response. I sighed and walked to the door defeatedly, "if you do get hungry, just come downstairs." I told him without turning around.

Lunch was bland as I sat in the kitchen alone. Mom was at work so I had no one to talk to. Once I was done I went to my own room shut to door and turned to TV on. I ended up watching some awful chick-flick and dosed off.

Sometime later I heard a small timid knock on the door. The TV was still on but long forgotten. I pushed myself out of bed and went to my door. I saw Isaac on the other side with puffy red eyes and a runny nose.

He looked up at me and whispered, "I'm scarred." In a small voice. I just nodded my head and dragged him to my bed. We both laid down and I curled my body around his so I was spooning him.

After I had him in my wrapped up body I said, "I know you are, but you're just going to have to be brave tomorrow sweet heart. I know you're scarred but you don't have to be anymore. All you have to do is get through tomorrow and then you will safe. Remember I will be there the whole time. All you have to do is look out at the crow and I will be there. I can promise you that."

He nodded into the pillow and whispered, "ok." He fell asleep in my arms but I stayed awake. I started watching the TV again and a while later I heard my mom enter the house.

"Boys, it's time for dinner!" Her yell sounded through the house.

I shook Isaac's soldier and whispered, "it's time to wake up," in his ear.

"Mmmh" he moaned and snuggled back into the bed.

"Come on, get up." I said a little louder this time while pulling him up by his arm. "You need to eat."

He drowsily nodded his head and stood up alongside me. I helped him down the stairs so he wouldn't fall. Once we got downstairs I saw the pizza sitting on the table and started to walk toward it. Isaac and I both sat down across from each other and started to eat.

My mom sat down beside us and ate as well. "Are you ready for tomorrow?" my mom asked, looking at Isaac.

"Yea, I think so," he told her back. That night was a hard one.

The nightmares just kept coming and coming, never giving up. By morning Isaac looked as if he hadn't slept at all and acted like it too. He barely ate any breakfast and was sluggish while getting his clothes on. He wore a suit and a tie that looked very uncomfortable on him while I put on one of my more worn out suits that I had had for a long time now.

When we got to the court house my mom got out and started heading in after she told us we could take a moment to ourselves. We sat there saying nothing then all of a sudden Isaac sighed and opened the door. Following him out of the car I slipped my hand in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"You'll be fine," I whispered into his ear so no one else could hear. We went in and we both went to the front to sit next to Isaac's lawyer. He was the best we could find for a reasonable price.

Then they led in Mr. Lahey. He was wearing an orange jump suit with cuffs around his hands. Isaac stiffened as he walked by him. He didn't even look at his son as he passed by.

As it started Isaac was the first person on the stand. He was slightly trembling as he was sworn in and went to sit down. He was thoroughly questioned from both sides and tried to answer with confidence. When they started to ask about the abuse he visibly paled and looked down at his hands not answering the question.

"Mr. Lahey?" The opposing's lawyer said out loud. I willed him to look up at me, to remember I was here, and to take strength in the support he had from mom and I. Hearing his name snapped him out of his trance and he looked up. His eyes looked to me and when found mine he started to tell them his story. He never once took his eyes off me the whole time.

When he was done testifying he finally relaxed a little. Next to be questioned where a few of his neighbors. They told of the noises that they would sometimes hear but when they would ask about it Mr. Lahey would always assure them that everything was fine.

Then it was my turn. I was sworn in and took a seat. I was a little nervous about the whole thing to tell the truth. Everyone's eyes where on me as the questions started.

"When and how did you find Mr. Lahey?" Was the first one.

The opposing party had asked it and I answered, remembering exactly what had happened that night. I told them of how the smell had brought me down there. What I saw when it opened the freezer.

Isaac was looking intently at his hands the whole time. They asked me a few questions about the time he spent in the hospital and what kind of injuries he had and how I thought they where inflicted upon him. I was soon done and the judge called a ten minute recess. Isaac, mom, and I all stood off to one side talking. Mom congratulated us both for getting thorough everything and told us that it was almost over.

The recess ended and Mr. Lahey was called to the stand. He told the court awful things about Isaac, and how he had to be punished. His lawyer was clearly frustrated, apparently he wasn't saying what he wanted him to. By the end of his statement it was clear that the judge was favoring with Isaac's side and pronounced Mr. Lahey with a life sentence and it was all over.

Everyone filled out of the court house and went their different ways. Everyone was quiet on the way home, too in shock to say anything. A huge smile crept to Isaac's face as we got home. I was beaming with my own smile shortly after and my mom couldn't contain hers either. "It's over. He's finally gone." Isaac said. We all spent the rest of the day together, all happy. I felt like the best day of my life.