Chapter Five- Safe and Secure

Isaac's POV

I was safe. That's all I knew while I was secured between two warm arms.

Scott had fallen asleep awhile ago but I was still awake. I was thinking about everything that had happened in only the span of a day. It had started off great.

I had went to school and got to actually believe that everything was alright for once. I went home after that and that's when things got bad.

I could smell the awful stench of beer already when I was at the end of the driveway to my house. Then I got inside and dad started ranting at me. He didn't even make sense, his voice to slurred from the alcohol.

That was when the first hit came. It was sloppily laid across my right cheek and only the surprise of it got to me. Then the second came. It was an upper cut to the jaw that packed a powerful punch behind it. It left me sprawled on the ground and dad took the first chance he got to sit on my upper chest. By that time his fists were raining down anywhere he could reach.

I could feel the blood coming out of my mouth and the oxygen escaping from my lungs under his weight. This was the time I was always looking forward to. The time that I could no longer feel anything, the pain so strong that it was numbing. But this time he didn't stop. He usually stopped after he saw I was no longer responding to his hits but this time he just kept going.

"Isaac?!?" I heard Scott's voice. Why is Scott here? I tried to tell him to run before my dad got him but I couldn't say anything. Then all of a sudden I felt the air rush into my lungs and my eyes snapped open.

Everything was bright and fuzzy as I felt the familiar hospital bed underneath me and the warm body beside me. I looked up and was met with a pair of concerned eyes. "Are you ok? You were rolling around whimpering in your sleep. I've been trying to wake you up for a while now," Scott said with pure concern.

"Just a bad dream," I said with a shaky voice. I was trembling in his arms and couldn't calm myself down enough to make the tremors go away.

"Hey, hey," he cooed, "it's ok. Everything will be ok." He tucked a lock of my curly hair behind my ear and looked me right in the eye. We were practically staring into each others souls by the look of it.

I knew I liked him before but now I felt like I couldn't live without him. I really hoped he felt the same.