Half Way To Thirty

"Happy birthday!" Mel shouted in my ear, waking me up. I groaned and smiled as my eyes fluttered open.

"If it was a 'happy' birthday then you would let me sleep." I spoke, moving away from her and putting my face back into the pillow.

"No. You have to get up! Come on." She spoke, pulling my arm. I looked over at the bedside clock and shook my head.

"No way! It's six thirty. You thought I was getting up." I said, laying back down. Mel was persistant, though, and kept on pulling me. I groaned and complained but eventually got up. As soon as Mel opened my bedroom door, the smell of bacon invaded my nostrils. I smiled and stood up.

"Food?" I questioned.

"Smells like mom and dad have been up a while." She grinned. "Come on." We walked down the stairs and I found James sitting in the kitchen.

"Morning birthday girl." He smirked. I smiled and ran to him to hug him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked. He pointed toward the food.

"Making breakfast." He smiled. I gasped.

"You did not make all this." I stated. He smiled wider.

"Oh, but I did. I couldn't let you beat me at best birthday planner." He said.

"It isnt a competition." I laughed.

"It is now." He told me. He moved the chair for me to sit in It. I narrowed my eyes in thought. I wasn't quite sure where he was going with this but he had me intrigued.

"Oh yeah?" I questioned. He nodded and we stared at eachother. I still had my eyes narrowed as I stared at him in doubt whereas he was smirking proudly.

"Yup."

"Why is everything a challenge with you?" He shrugged and smiled.

"Because I know I'm going to win." He spoke.

"We'll see." I nodded. "No copying me though. If anything resembles what I did then it doesn't count."

"Who's going to be the judge of that?" He asked.

"Me. Obviously." I said, my eyebrows raised.
"Um, obviously not. You can't judge a competition you're in! Thats called bias." He told me.

"Well, neither can you." I stated. "Besides, I consider myslef a very unbiased person." James laughed and shook his head.

"Just because you consider yourself that, it doesn't mean you are." He said.I scoffed and crossed my arms.

"You two bicker like an old married couple. In case you forgot I was here, Im here as well." Mel spoke. I honestly had forgotten she was watching us. "I can be the judge of you little 'best birthday planner' competition." James and I looked at each other and nodded slowly.

"Yeah. Thats a great idea." James said.

"Mel, wouldn't you be biased in my favor as well?" I asked. She laughed loudly and shook her head.

"Puh-lease. You really think that? I do whats fair." She said. I sighed and nodded.

"Yeah. I know. It was worth a shot though." I spoke. She nodded and looked down at the food. She examined it bit by bit. She even picked up a piece of bacon off the plate and took a bite. As she chewed, she nodded.

"This bacon is pretty great." She said, popping the rest of the bacon strip in her mouth. I sighed and nodded. "Point James." She said after chewing fully. I nodded and sighed.

"Yeah. Figures." I sighed. James looked at me and smirked. "Oh don't worry. Theres no way you can beat me any more. I had the best ideas." I said. He nodded and shrugged.