Book 1: Chapter 43

"Again." Auster snapped as N stopped taking a deep breath. Zoroark huffed beside him out of exhaustion. Reshiram and Rayquaza flew above the arena chasing each other and having a great time.

    "This is dumb."

    "I said again." Auster stated as Ryder sat in the champions chair with purrloin. The two were coloring away or doing something with a paper and pen, what it was N didn't know. Lucario stood in the middle of the arena waiting for the two.

    "Why are we doing this?"

    "You are acting like you hate it." Auster said as N grew angry.

    "Of course I hate this."

    "What does Lucario say?" Auster stated as N looked over at the aura pokemon. Taking a deep breath he listened for a few moments before looking back at the champion. He glanced down at Zoroark and noticed she was saying a similar thing to the other pokemon. They enjoyed this, why?

    "What did you hear?"

    "They are enjoying this. I don't understand."

    "You keep questioning yourself. You don't want pokemon to fight each other but they enjoy it. They grow stronger. Like they said its fun for them, but here's the reason why. They are not just growing stronger, they are growing with you. As a trainer and their pokemon fight more and more the stronger they become, the closer the two become." Auster walked over to N as Lucario followed its trainers lead.

    "They become closer until the two think alike which is what I'm trying to drill into you. Pokemon want to fight because they want to be close with you N. Stopping them will break all connections that they have formed with humans. Now then." Auster smiled at him as he heard Ryder call out to him.

    "Again." Auster ordered as he walked over to where his son sat before handing him the picture. N could see it in purrloin's eyes how much she enjoyed being around the boy. He could see how much Lucario enjoyed being with his trainer. Looking down at Zoroark he saw it there in the pokemon's eyes. The burning passion to grow stronger and become closer until they were united. N smiled as he patted the illusion pokemon before facing Lucario as he took up his position again.

    "Begin."

    Ryder sat outside on the fence with Purrloin on his shoulder and Leafeon in his arms. Frogadier sat beside him as the group looked at the large tree before them.

    "That's where were going to be tomorrow... I don't know if I can do it." Ryder whispered getting all three of the pokemon to look at their trainer confused.

    "I know I'm strong but there is no way I can take on N. I know how he fights, I know how strong he is." The darkness of the night seemed to almost get darker to him.

    "I hate it." He whispered. He wanted to be strong, strong like his father was. But he was so afraid of this battle and what it would mean to lose it. He could almost see the loss playing over and over in his head and there was nothing he could do about it.

    "I knew you would be out here." Ryder's thoughts ceased as he heard that voice.

    "Yah, like when I was a kid huh?" Ryder asked as N walked up to the fence and leaned on it. He wasn't wearing his hat and seemed very relaxed.

    "You worried about our battle?" N questioned.

    "How could you tell?"

    "I know you better than you think I do." N stated as he drummed his fingers against the wood. He knew it was awkward for the both of them, after all N wasn't Auster.

    "Are you going to be using all six?" Ryder asked. N chuckled at the question.

    "In these gyms they use three pokemon. So I will be using three." Ryder huffed a breath. That was something he didn't want to hear.

    "Great..." He whispered.

    "Sorry, didn't mean to make you upset." N stated as Zoroark walked up behind him and leaned her head against the fence watching the two.

    "It makes it that much harder."

    "You know, I'm bringing Reshiram." N commented as he looked at Frogadier as it moved closer to its trainer.

    "I've had a question for a long time..." Ryder began but cut off. "Never mind." He whispered a few moments later.

    "No ask it. You have every right." N stated already knowing the question, he wasn't sure if Ryder wanted to know the answer.

    "Where were you?" Ryder asked. N hesitated as he shifted.

    "Before or after?"

    "Both."

    "I was flying back from Unova. When I landed I was informed of what happened unfortunately it was already a day later." N looked up at Ryder for a few seconds before digging his nails into the fence.

    "Why didn't you come to the funeral?"

    "Ryder-"

    "Answer it." Ryder snapped. N took a deep breath looking down at Zoroark before closing his eyes. This was hard on them both but he needed to know.

    "I went to the site... We were looking for any sign of your father surviving. I should have told you sooner." N whispered. He looked up at the teenager and noticed the tear trails that were rushing down his face. Looking at Zoroark he nodded his head as the fox rushed back into the center.

    "We did find something..." Ryder looked at him his eyes red.

    "What?"

    "It belonged to your father." N stated as Zoroark returned a few moments later with N's bag in her teeth. Taking the bag from the pokemon, he reached inside and pulled out a small box. Handing it to the teenager he stared at it for a moment before taking it from the man. Leafeon jumped to the side settling himself on the fence next to Frogadier as Ryder began to open the box.

    Removing the lid he stared down at the broken object inside of it, and his heart sank. Pulling out the broken top of a pokeball he spun it in his hand taking in the pieces missing. He noticed the old marks on it and then he realized which pokemon it belonged to.

    "Lucario..." Ryder whispered.

    "I'm sorry." N whimpered as Ryder turned wrapping his arms around the man's neck.

    "I miss him so much." N was a bit surprised but after a few seconds wrapped his own arms around the teenager.

    "I do too."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know why I keep making sad chapters.