Spain x Mermaid!Reader

Mermaids are/were a folktale in Denmark, along with Spain and a few other countries.

"Memories"

It was after a world meeting, which took place in Denmark. (le wink) Denmark was currently sitting on an abandoned beach, laughing and talking with a (H/C) mermaid.

      You and Denmark met one day when you got stuck on the beach, and he had helped you get back into the ocean before anyone else saw you. He gained your trust, and told you about the countries. In return, you often told him stories about the underwater lifestyle.

       You were currently telling him a story about when you were "younger". Like the countries, you didn't age. You just lived a long and boring life until you were captured and killed. The story was about when you were part of a pod and sunk ships to defend yourselves. You lived off the coast of Spain at the time, and there were millions of ships.

      You worked as the siren. You would sing songs tempting the sailors to jump into the cold ocean-water and drown themselves. You felt bad, but when it came down to it; it was for not just yourself, but the rest of the pod.

      Just as you were about to finish the story about you and a certain sailor to Denmark, a familiar face popped out from behind the black rocks and ran towards you.

      "(Y/N)!!!" Spain called loudly as he tried to glomp you. You quickly dodged and scooted away from him, trying to move on land with your (F/C) tail.

        "T-Toni..?" You questioned quietly, tears filling your eyes. "How..? Why..? I-I..." You trailed off as you sniffled. You shook your head in disbelief before turning over and quickly splashing back into the salty ocean.

       From the beach, Denmark stared between where you disappeared to and where Spain now stood, shocked.

        "Wait, you were (Y/N)'s little pirate boy?!" He exclaimed before bursting into laughter, rolling around on the sand. "Oh my god, what will the rest of the BTT think?! The heartless pirate fell for a mermaid because of her voice!"

      "It wasn't just her voice!" Spain snapped angrily. "It was also her personality, and heart, and looks, and beauty. She was perfect, and I wanted her."

        "You sure you didn't just want some rare mermaid scales?" Denmark said back with a protective scowl. "You sure you still don't want her scales now? You and I both know she would do it, so don't even try."

       "Do what?" Spain asked with his brows furrowed.

        Denmark scoffed as he stood up and dusted the sand off. "She loves you. She would give you anything you asked for. She'd even cut off her tail if it simply made you smile."

        Spain paused in shock, his eyes widening again. 'She would..?'

        From the shallow waters, you listened to the Danish man stomp away angrily. After a few moments of complete silence, you heard a sigh.

         "I'm sorry, (Y/N)." Your special pirate said softly, kicking at the sand below him sadly. "I'm sorry I didn't stay around, and that I didn't keep my promise."

         You lifted your head out of the water slightly, tears falling down your cheeks. The last time you had seen the ex-pirate, he had promised to travel the world with you. You both had planed to meet at the shore of an unused island, but he never showed up. And as the sun began to rise for a new day, you lost hope and swam home, crying the entire way.

       "That's why we don't interact with the humans, (Y/N)." The mother-figure of the pod had said when she caught you in your cave crying. She instantly knew what had happened, and was rubbing your back comfortingly. "They find us, love us, and then break us."

        From that day on, you avoided humans like they were the plague. Which, in your case, they kind of were. Denmark was the only human you had peacefully talked to in a long, long time.

       While you were lost in thought, you didn't notice a certain Spaniard creeping up on you. He suddenly lifted you out of the water bridal-style and held you close and you yelped.

        "IMSORRYIMSORRYIMSORRYIMSORRYIMSOOOOOOOOSORRY!!!" He called over and over, his face dug into your shoulder. "My ship was attacked by a enemy and I couldn't make it. And by the time my ship was fixed and re-built, I couldn't find you anywhere." He pulled back to look into your light/dark (E/C) eyes. "Please, please, please, please forgive me!

        You gasped at the tears that were filling his emerald green eyes before smiling slightly.

        "I forgave you the second I saw you." You whispered quietly to him, bringing your hands up into his tanned cheeks. You wiped away a tear that had fallen with your thumb.

          He rested his forehead against your's, and closed his eyes gently. "Gracias, (Y/N)." He paused for a second before opening his eyes with a pleading look. "Now will you be this captain's mermaid again?"

       You giggled quietly, the gills on the side of your neck making small clicking noises. You nodded with a wide smile as Spain hugged you closer.

"Good. Because if you said no, I could've just have carried you with me anyways."