Chapter 24: Red Velvet Cupcakes

Start from the beginning

“Come on babe let’s get out of here.” Harry grabbed my hand and Louis finished up paying the bill while we put on our coats and jackets. It was always a shame when our time out had to come to an end so quickly but as much as the boys loved their fans it could be a bit of a hassle having to deal with the press and other nosy people.      

“Okay lets head back now.” There was a more somber tone to Louis voice now but he still kept a smile on his face the whole way back home. The sun had just begun to peak out from behind the overwhelming cover of clouds when we got back and there were a few girls waiting outside the doors for us when we got there.

The two boys immediately lit up and went forward to greet them, took a few photos and signed their posters. I even saw a girl with their book and reminded myself to ask them to give me a copy to read when we got back. The girls were giggly and flattering to the boys while they were with them and I couldn’t help but admire the way the boys handled them with such ease. “Well thanks for stopping by girls.” Harry drew me away from my thoughts as his fingers laced with my own and he guided me away from the flashing cameras through the door to the apartment building. The familiar calls of “Who’s she?” and “What’s so special about her?” followed us in but I had spent enough time around the fans that I had learnt to block them out and even ignore some of the nastier bouts of name calling. Back up in the apartment Harry had to make a few calls and to pass the time until Ellie came for Louis’ date he and I flipped through some of their old recipe books to try and find something to bake. After nearly half an hour and a hilarious game of trying to find the weirdest and most disgusting recipes, which left us in stitches of laughter, we finally found one that suited us both.

It took us a few tries but after some spilled flour and three eggs smashed on the floor and Louis managing to splodge the mix all over his white shirt we had a batch of rich red velvet cupcakes baking in the oven. Louis seemed very proud of his work and he and I took turns mixing and eating the cream cheese frosting to go with it.

“Yu-um what smells like heaven?” Harry soon sauntered back into the room and he gave me a random hug before saying that he had just spoken to mum and that she wanted him to give me a hug from her. I giggled as he refused to let go and I squealed as he tickled me before I squirmed out of his arms and took the frosting bowl away from the boys before they ate all of it.

“Hey I was eating that!” Louis called out with a mouth full of cake batter, Harry smiled at me as I teasingly licked my frosting covered finger and he jokingly pouted as I covered the bowl in cling-wrap and put it away in the fridge. I then took the time to clean up messy kitchen and the boys went on the computer and turned the TV on in the background. It was nice having them home for the weekend but I knew that it wouldn’t last, as soon as the clock struck 8-tomorrow morning they would be out of the house and I would be left alone to bide the time waiting for them to come home again.

“Nora I think they’re ready!” Harry stuck his head through my door and I realized that I had been lost in my thoughts and had been holding the baby booties tightly in my hands. I quickly put them behind me and stood up quickly as he waited at the door.

“Did the timer go off yet?” I came into the kitchen and Louis was peaking into the oven and I laughed at how silly and cute he looked in the apron I had made him wear so that he didn’t stain any more shirts.

“Yeah it went off and I did that toothpick trick you taught me.” He smiled proudly and showed me the toothpick that had a few red crumbs sticking to the edge. He passed me the oven mitts and I took them out in the nick of time and immediately got them out of the pan so they didn’t bake too long in the heated metal.

“Hey, here’s a broken one if you guys want to split it.” Parts of it had stuck to the bottom of the pan leaving it useless and the picked at it like vultures the moment I set it down on the counter.