21

I ran from the front door as Regan chased me.  I dropped my bag by the coat rack and took off up stairs. I quickly hid from him as he came up the stairs. I put a hand over my mouth to suppress my laughter. 

"Allen I'm gonna get you whether you like It or not." Regan said as he walked by my hiding spot. I slipped out and took off towards my room but I didn't wait long enough because he grabbed my waist and I yelped in laughter. He shut the door and threw me on the bed all the while in laughter. He crawled over me and pressed his lips to mine. He smirked against my lips as I laughed while kissing him back. My mother pounded on the door.

"Calm down boys!" She yelled. Me and Regan pulled away from each other as her footsteps disappeared down the hallway. We still sat in an intimate position as we chuckled. His waist was in between my knees and my hands gripped his waist and slightly over his back. His elbows held him up so he wasn't laying on me while his fingers combed through my hair.

"I'm so proud of you Allen." He said resting his forehead on mine. I closed my eyes.

"Why?" I asked and he chuckled.

"What do you mean why? Because you kept your promise." He said.

"Oh duh." I said as realization hit me.

"You forgot didn't you?" He asked and I shrugged.

"I guess I just got caught up in being able to be normal and forgot that I was actually supposed to be hiding all the time." I said quietly and he pulled away while looking down at me.

"I love you." He said while kissing me again. I smiled and kissed him back. I flipped us over so I was straddling his waist while pulling him up. Now he gripped my waist while my hands gripped his hair. He gripped my shirt but I pulled away.

I clicked my tongue and shook my head. "I still need to take a shower and you need to do your homework." I said and he groaned. He dropped his head in the crook of my neck and sighed. "I love you too Regan." I said running my fingers though his hair.

******

Several months later

Regan and I have been doing so much better since our first day back at school from vacation. Not only doing better but becoming closer as well. So as we sat in the veterinary clinic awaiting Kilo's test results I held his hand and his head leaned on my shoulder. His other hand stroked Kilo's head as she curled up in my lap. She's been getting sick the last week and we didn't know what to do. However the moment she stopped eating and getting up to walk I knew it was time to take her in.

"Kilo?" The veterinarian said as she walked in. Regan's head shot up and he stood. He offered to take her but I shook my head and lifted her up. We followed the Vet into another room and I laid her down on the table. We looked at the vet and waited. "So we went over the test a couple of times and came up with the only result that can be absolutely proven." She said and Regan looked at me. "Your dog has cancer in the back lower half of her body. We thought it would be fine with just amputating her hind legs. But that would result in you carrying her all the time. However we also found it in her lungs." She said hesitantly and I sighed. We knew she had cancer but I knew Regan wasn't ready for her to be taken. His knuckles turned white as he gripped the metal table. Kilo whined and laid her head over Regan's hand making him look down at her.

"Is there anything we can do?" I asked and she shook hear head.

"I'm afraid the only thing that can be done is to let her suffer or put her down. Of course the choice is yours but I recommend that you put her down so she wont be in pain." She said and I looked at Regan who's face was laced with sadness.

"We don't have money for that." Regan said quietly almost to himself.

"I am well aware of that. Do to the fact that you brought her in not to long ago and couldn't get her treated do to money." She said and Regan sighed. "If you chose to put her down the procedure with be paid for by donation. No charge on your part." She said and Regan looked at her surprised.

"The choice is yours Regan but she's right. Kilo is suffering and she needs to be put out of her misery." I said rubbing his shoulders.

*****

I held Regan's head to my chest as he cried. We were now sitting on my bed alone. He did so well at the vet and on the way back but the moment we got home he lost it. I don't blame him that dog was with him through everything. He didn't sob but he cried while gripping my shirt.

"Shush Regan. She's better now. She's not suffering anymore." I said and he nodded.

"I know but I need her Allen. It's not gonna be the same if she's gone." He said his tearful voice cracking as he looked up at me.

"I know baby I know." I said rubbing his arm while pulling him back to me. I intertwined our fingers and kissed his head. "You'll get though it. We'll get through it together." I said and he sighed while trying to calm down.

"Life sucks balls." He grumbled and I chuckled a little while kissing his head again.