Little box

Dennis' POV

Luis had been off lately.. I knew Barry knew why.. but he wouldn't tell me.. The ass would just shrug his shoulder and say "It's not my place." She was putting up a face and I could tell it pained her..

I went up to her work to visit one day when I got off early but her co-workers said she'd taken a walk but didn't say where she was going.. They also asked me if I knew what had gotten into her lately, they explained how she had always had a light and bubbly air about her.. But recently she barely spoke, and that light was gone..

Why would she hide from me? It was worrying me.. If I just knew what happened then I could help her.. All I ever want is for her to be happy..

A thought crossed my mind that put my stomach in knots.. Could it be the baby? She was really reluctant towards having it at first.. She wouldn't do this just to please me would she?

'No you idiot..'

I heard Jades voice echo in the back of my mind.. I stopped to listen..

'Look.. It's not the baby.. She wants it just as much as you do.. Barry made me swear I wouldn't say anything.. Because if she wanted you to know she'd come to you herself..'

But why wouldn't she come to me? I heard her sigh..

'She loves you Dennis.. and she knows you.. She doesn't want you worrying about her because when you worry you get yourself worked up and it hurts her to watch..'

Please.. Jade.. She's the first one to ever really care about me.. To love me.. I just need to know she's okay..

She sighed again.

'If Barry finds out that I told you you're going to owe me big time..'

~*~

So that's what brought me here.. To this filthy, ear splitting place.. Practically hell on earth..

But I loved this woman.. and she deserves to be happy at all costs.. And if this can even bring her an ounce of joy I'm sure as hell going for it.. I knew what I was looking for.. But so far I wasn't having any luck..

I heard a child start wailing, and a mothers voice jump in to yell even louder and I cringed.. My child will not act that way.. Never will I be the parent that has to scream over my child in a public place..

Something suddenly grabbed my eye.. I'd found what I was looking for..

~*~

Luis' POV

Dennis had called a few hours ago saying he would be late getting home. So I thought I'd take the time to wash empty the dish washer and fold some laundry.. At this point he had officially moved in and it was a lot easier to get behind on these things when it was more than just your own things..

I heard the sound of the garage door opening, a sign that he was finally home. Excitement rose in my stomach, there was still time for us to sit down and watch a movie that a co-worker had recommended to me that I was pretty excited about.

"Luis!" I heard him call.

"I'm in the kitchen!" I called back.

"Could you come here a minute, I need your help with something!" He said, that was when I heard the fumbling of heavy objects and his grunts of labor. I dropped the dish towel and quickly left the kitchen, turning the corner but as soon as I saw what Dennis was carrying I froze.

Under one arm he had a large skinny box with a label that said "Extra Large Pet Crate" and in the other arm he had a box, the top lined with perfectly cut circles. He smiled when he saw the shock on my face, dropping the larger box with a thud, and keeping a firm hold on the other, which I now noticed to be wiggling and whimpering..

"Dennis.." I said slowly and very seriously. He just let out a breathy laugh, carefully setting down the anxious box.

"I've noticed you've been kinda down lately.. So I thought you could use a little extra love.." He said, prying open the top of the box in which a large pair of fuzzy black ears poked out. My hands automatically came to cover my mouth.

The little fuzz ball yipped at it attempted to jump from its cardboard confinement. Dennis helped it by pushing the box over with his foot a little, allowing the creature to jump out. I crouched to the floor, beckoning the little fluff over to me. I immediately broke into tears..

"Dennis..!" I gasped as the puppy started to lick and nibble at my hands as I pulled it into my lap.

"He's a Shepard.. I'd been reading on them and they make great family dogs.. I figured if we were going to need a protector of the household I wouldn't settle for less than the best.." He said coming to sit down with me. I threw my arms around him, nuzzling my face into his shoulder.

"Thank you!" I cried. "I love you! I love him! Thank you!" I said, laughing with joy. As I hugged Dennis the puppy started to yip and bark at us, running in circles until he tipped over.

"I love you too.." He said, pushing me back so he could place his lips on mine. He then just looked at me for a minute, and I laughed again, putting my forehead on his. "There's the smile we've been missing.." He said, looking at me lovingly. We shared that moment for a minute before I felt little tugs at my pant leg, looking down to see the little fuzz ball yanking at them..

As soon as we made eye contact though he let go and we both laughed.

"He's gonna get big.. Look at his feet.." He said, as he used his fingers to mimic scuttling spiders to mess with him. I nodded, my mind trying to grasp a way I could possibly re-pay this man that I loved for all that he'd done..
"Now come on.. Help me unload the car.. I got plenty of toys so he better not chew the furniture.."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Why hello hello! I hope you're still enjoying this story! I think a German Shepard fits Dennis' personality great don't you think? And how about the baby? What do you think it'll be? Leave a comment! And also while you're there you can suggest a name for the Augustine household's newest fuzzy little family member! Thank you guys so so much for reading and I'll see you in the next chapter! Bye! ☆〜(ゝ。