Crossed Lines

The next morning I woke up with a sick feeling in my stomach.. Dennis had left early, kissing me on the temple gently to not startle me, knowing I was slightly awake he whispered.

"I'll be back in a little while.. I'll pick up something to eat while I'm out.. Do you want me to call when l'm on my way back..?" He asked softly, running his fingers though my hair sweetly, I closed my eyes at the feeling, nodding at his question. "What's the code to the garage? I don't want it open while you're here by yourself.." He said, tucking the hair he'd been playing with behind my ear.

"So I don't get kidnapped..?" I asked hoarsely with a small smirk.

"That's not funny..." He said with a blank expression. I laughed.

"0730.." I said, turning on my back so I could stretch, the cover slipping off of my upper body as I arched my back against the pillows. I could feel this eyes on my braless chest under my thin shirt so I looked up at him. "You're staring.." I said with a raised eyebrow.

"You're beautiful.." He said with charming light Boston accent, placing a quick kiss on my lips before he walked out the door.

While he was gone, just as I built up the motivation to make some peppermint tea for my stomach, I managed to vomit three times after being up for only about 30 minutes.. Though as I lay in bed with my little bucket beside me I felt totally well again, so I was able to knock it up as some sort of food poisoning I guess..

So when Dennis came home he halted in the doorway at the sight of it. "Did you throw up?" Was the first thing he asked, standing very still with a paper sack and a drink in his hands.

"Yeah.." I said, almost shamefully.

"Where?"

"Kitchen sink.."

"Did you clean it?"

"I rinsed it.."

"But did you clean it?"

I stayed silent, pursing my lips a little, just staring at him, he wasn't really frustrated with me it was more of a gentle frustration if any... Even if I did scrub the sink clean 30 times he'd still do it anyway..

"You're gross.." He said flatly, walking to set the sack of food on my night stand, handing me my drink directly.

"I love you.." I said nonchalantly, but when what I said registered I froze, and so did he. He slowly turned to look at me and we stared at each other.. Why was that such a shocking thing to hear me say? I know I've said that I love him before right? I had to have at some point.. I mean.. I think we're even engaged..? I suddenly realized how much more complicated my relationship was than I thought.. We should probably talk about it at some point but that seems like a lot..

I was pulled from my thoughts when I saw his smile, "And I love you.." He said and leaned in to kiss my cheek gently.  A warm and fuzzy feeling came over me at the
way he said those words..

He left shortly after, going to scrub the whole house down I guessed.. So alone I sat, eating my sandwich and fruit cup, watching TV..

~*~

The next few days started the same, I'd get up, feel sick, feel better repeat.. I told myself that it was just a bug, but for some reason I stopped telling Dennis when I was feeling sick..

So that's what brought me here.. Staring at the crossed lines in front of me.. I tested another.

Crossed lines...

And another.

Crossed lines..
Crossed lines
Crossed lines
Crossed lines..

Panic welled in my throat. No no no.. this was not the time! My family.. They don't even know about Dennis yet! Should I tell them? No! Not until this Beast thing blows over! Oh my god what will Dennis think? He's never expressed anything about wanting this.. Oh god.. Did I want this?

I leaned up against the sink, holding the stick in my hand, placing the other shaky hand over my mouth as I let tears fall down my face.

"Luis? You've been in there a while are you alright?" I heard through the door. Dennis..

"I'm fine! I'll be out in a minute!" I called back, but my voice trembled and cracked, and he heard it..

"I'm coming in.." He said, and before I could reject the door was open. He looked from my tear streaked face to the little white stick in my hand, then to the other identical sticks sitting in the sink. "Luis-?" He started but I took them all and went to throw them away.

"I'll get rid of it.." I said pushing past him, not wanting to see the reaction on his face.

"Luis don't walk away.." He said sternly, quickly following behind me. I ignored him.

"I'll call for an appointment tomorrow and it will all be over before it was even a memory.." I said, throwing the contents of my hands in the trash almost grudgingly.. Suddenly strong hands were whipping me around, griping my shoulders.

"NO!" He shouted, his nostrils were flaring and his breathing was heavy. "If you're so easily willing to throw this away you're not the kind of person I thought you were.." He said, venom dripping from his words.

"We're not ready for this Dennis!" I cried.

"When?!" He laughed. "In the history of anything has someone ever said 'wow this is a walk in the park I can't believe how ready we were for this baby!'" He stared at me, waiting for something to come from me..

He wanted this.. Never in a million years would I have pictured this to be how my life would end up.. I fell in love with the man who kidnapped me.. Those girls.. I don't even think I want to know what's happing with then now.. I lost my edge.. I always heard that love changes you.. but I never thought I could be changed..

"That's my kid too.. And I feel like I should have some say.." He said, his voice softening as he stared intently at me.

"Dennis.."

"Luis.."

"Ask yourself.. Are you really in a place right now to be a father? This-This- The whole reason I'm even here with you right now is because you kidnapped me! Me and those girls! I don't even know if I want to know what's happened to them at this point! I'm not the woman I was before I met you and I don't know how to feel about that!" Tears rolled down my cheeks again as my body trembled. "I'm not ready to be a mother Dennis!"

He stared at me for a moment.. A look of sympathy coming over his face... Then I watched as his eyes began to change.. He took off his glasses and took a different stance. Suddenly he smiled..

"That doesn't sound like you.. Fear isn't something you run from?"

Barry.

"I thought.." I started but he jumped in to explain himself.

"The hoard and the rest of us have come to.. an understanding.." He said shrugging his shoulders. I smiled, seeing him was somehow a little bit of a comfort.. "How would Luis before Dennis feel about this?" He asked.

I thought a moment.. Luis without Dennis wouldn't run away... She'd run at this with head high and arms open.. She'd never have a second thought about having this.. She'd always wanted to be a mother..

I slowly pressed myself against him, wrapping my arms around his back. "You're right.." I whispered, his arms tightened around my waist, and his face nuzzled my neck. I smiled.. I understand why Barry is the leader..

"We're having a baby.." He whispered back, he was holding back tears, I heard it in his voice.. "And don't you worry about a thing.. We'll all be here.. to help in whatever way we can.." He whispered again, rubbing my back..
"Now!" He said excitedly pulling away from me. "We got a lot to prepare for! 9 months is not as long as you think!"

He then looked behind me, at the pregnancy sticks that I had thrown in the trash, reaching around me to carefully pluck one out. "We need to keep one of these.. For the baby book!"